Door Mirror Measurements

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Hi Gang,

I took my driver side mirror off my 78 Malibu when I was doing body work. It was the old squareish chrome type, and there was plenty of rust underneath, so I patched in some new metal and filled it in. This was last summer. I just bought some sport mirrors from eBay, both sides, but I'm not sure about the mounting position. Like how far back from the front of the door and how far down from the body line at the top of the door. I hope these work, because I'm not even sure how they mount. I guess I should have figured that out before, huh? If anyone could help me with the measurements, I would be grateful. Thanks!

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Are they the rounded style Malibu sport mirrors or like the Monte Carlo SS style mirrors? Post a picture.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Gang,

I took my driver side mirror off my 78 Malibu when I was doing body work. It was the old squareish chrome type, and there was plenty of rust underneath, so I patched in some new metal and filled it in. This was last summer. I just bought some sport mirrors from eBay, both sides, but I'm not sure about the mounting position. Like how far back from the front of the door and how far down from the body line at the top of the door. I hope these work, because I'm not even sure how they mount. I guess I should have figured that out before, huh? If anyone could help me with the measurements, I would be grateful. Thanks!
If you're replacing the stock chrome mirror with a standard sport mirror, the mounting holes should be the same. If you're going with a later '86 + Monte Carlo sport mirror the mounting position(s) are higher on the door closer to the glass. You'll then have to fill the holes and re-drill new ones higher up.
Sorry I don't have any measurements to provide. I went a whole different direction.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If they didn't come with the stiffener plates, best to make some for the inside, as bolting mirrors to just the skin will result in cracking/failure in a short period.

The originals often had some sort of sound deadener/insulateo between the skin and stiffener, and that will hold moisture causing that rust problem

The Camaro/Monte mirrors mount farther forward on the skin, and the inner structure of the pre-86 doors is not cut to accomodate access to the nuts, so you will have to create access holes

Also, not all the rounded G body sport mirrors are the same. The heads are, but the bases have different heights depending on which model they came from, and the angle is slightly differnt on some. I would check-fit before spending money painting them

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
i just measured my 82 el camino with the round sport mirrors it;s 13 3/4 inches from the front of the door to the front of the mirror and 1 1/2 inches from the body line to the center of the mirror and yes it needs to be reinforced from the back side one car i had i made a plate threaded it bolted it on through predrilled holes in the door and drilled 2 holes through the door into the plate and pop riveted it in place

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If they didn't come with the stiffener plates, best to make some for the inside, as bolting mirrors to just the skin will result in cracking/failure in a short period.

The originals often had some sort of sound deadener/insulateo between the skin and stiffener, and that will hold moisture causing that rust problem

The Camaro/Monte mirrors mount farther forward on the skin, and the inner structure of the pre-86 doors is not cut to accomodate access to the nuts, so you will have to create access holes

Also, not all the rounded G body sport mirrors are the same. The heads are, but the bases have different heights depending on which model they came from, and the angle is slightly differnt on some. I would check-fit before spending money painting them
There are more differences in the sport mirrors between the Chevy/Pontiac & Olds/Buick. The mount studs are spaced the same but not casted in the same location of the base. I found this out grabbing a set of a Cutlass Supreme coupe & comaired them to the ones off my Monte. Now it may only been with the 47 coupes mirrors. Even the gaskets are different.

• Agree

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
These come from an 86 Monte Carlo. That's what the ad claims. I'll need to drill holes for sure, I just didn't know there were many types of mirrors. Here's the ad:
Screenshot_20240310-075517.png
Screenshot_20240310-075507.png

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Those mirrors were only used on Monte's through 85' in 86' they started using the Aero style mirror.
If your car came from the factory with only a driver's side mirror I would check to see if the passenger has the stiffener plate welded in but not drilled, if so then you can drill the 2 holes for mounting and use the location for your measurements on the driver's side.
Hopefully your mirrors came with the base gaskets and nuts which is how most people sell them but if not you will have to locate those, the gasket will be your template for drilling the 3 holes on your driver's side and also for making your reinforcement plate.

• Agree

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Not trying to cause any trouble here.... as mentioned above those are not 86 Monte mirrors. The 86-88 mirrors look like this

1000001158.jpg

1000001157.jpg

Seller may have made a mistake when listing?

Also it may just be the picture but those bases look tall to me. I have a couple of RH Malibu/ Camino mirrors here and they don't seem as tall.

1000000719.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Thanks all for your input on this. I'll definitely make sure these are reinforced on the back side. The mirrors should be here Tuesday. I hope they come with the gaskets, but I can't tell from the pics only. I'm currently running no side mirrors at all, so I need to get these on before the weather gets warm and cruising season starts.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor