Drag Shocks on Street Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I have an 80 Malibu wagon that I just got on the road. I have a built 400 sbc and have traction issues at the launch( street tires for now ). I plan to try some Comp. Eng. shocks but want to know how much drivability I will loose when street driving. The car is only driven on weekend cruise nights for now and NEVER a daily driver.
What are you guys thoughts about drag shocks and street driving?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I ran C.E. 3 way adjustable shocks set at 90/10 on the front and 50/50 on the back with factory F41 sway bars and always ran some sort of sticky tires on the back and though it definitely launched better but I ended up missing the handling and predictability with a street set up and bought some new Hellwig sway bars and gas shocks all around and it drives so much nicer plus mine spends all it's time on the street.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I ran C.E. 3 way adjustable shocks set at 90/10 on the front and 50/50 on the back with factory F41 sway bars and always ran some sort of sticky tires on the back and though it definitely launched better but I ended up missing the handling and predictability with a street set up and bought some new Hellwig sway bars and gas shocks all around and it drives so much nicer plus mine spends all it's time on the street.
It all depends on what you can live with. I also ran C.E 3 way adjustable drag shocks on the street. It def didn't corner and handle as well as standard shocks in the twisties at speed, but it was way worth it to me for the weight transfer and ability to (mostly) hook on the street even with street tires.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I agree about what you can live with, everyone has their own version of what is streetable and I would say I have pushed those limits before.
I think when I finally built a pump gas engine instead my normal high compression race engines is when I decided I just wanted to really enjoy driving my Monte and that is when I decided on big sway bars and street shocks and also when I made my 4" tailpipes that go over the axle, I decided this was the new street version of my car, I just can't seem to loose the frontrunners though.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I ran 90/10 shocks in the front along with no sway bar. Still had street tires on the front though. I didn't think it was too bad. I have now switched to drag shocks on all four corners, no sway bars, trick springs in the front and front runners. Not horrible but a lot more sketchy than before, especially on the interstate in curves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor