Dream restorations??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsslover1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 20, 2007
Yreka CA
What is your dream restoration or mods of any Gbody??
Mine is taking any Gbody (wagon, coupe, 4 dr sedan) and putting an LSx engine with a 6 speed transmission and the best handling suspension you can get. Recently I had thoughts of taking a 4 dr 80s Olds Cutlass and making a Hurst Olds out of it (white and gold trim). Or an El Camino, Monte Carlo LS, or 2 dr Olds Cutlass with an LSx engine.

well if completely off the wall is allowed: either a massively worked duramax or a twin-turbo LS7 with all-wheel drive.

I'd like either an Aurora 4.0L with almost Indycar power
aurorav8-1.jpg

or a Corvette Z06 small block 427
Z06427sbc.jpg

Suspension so it's on rails.....healthy auto w/overdrive and a Ford 9"
in my stock appearing '83 Cutlass Supreme.

LSX with the six speed transaxle and suspension out of a C6 Vette. Oh, with twin turbos, a big stereo and all the options too. My other scenario would be an AWD G body using the AWD system out of a Astro van, but using a 5 or 6 speed manual instead of the TH700 R4 automatic mated to the transfer case of the van. The rear, of course, would not be Astro van, but rather independent, possibly out of a 240sx or a 300zx as they are pretty much the same as the one in a Skyline GTR, and we all know what a killer AWD car that thing is! My favorite body is the Malibu Coupe, and I would also consider doing a widebody version to get extra track width and fit wider tires front and rear. Anyhow, I would want to do something to balance the weight better, possibly a front-midship layout that puts the engine behind the front axle centerlline, like a BMW E36 chassis or a Infiniti G35/ Nissan 350z. Maybe even move the wheels further forward while keeping the fenders the same length ( think altered wheelbase A/FX drag cars of the 60's). If I did that, I would definitely do it as a widebody to improve the width to length ratio. Then, I would put a better dash design in it that puts the radio and HVAC controls within easy reach, and replace the seats with something more supportive, like Recaro or Sparco seats up front, and do something about the back seat as it tends to hurt my back on long trips. It would also have a center console with giant cupholders, and an in dash navigation system that is integrated with the radio ( Pioneer sells them). I would also improve the efficiency of the A/C system by placing ducts under the front seats and blowing to the rear ala BMW E30. I'd also try to install an adaptive cruise control system like Lexus has that slows the car down in response to the speed of traffic in front of you, and speeds back up when the obstruction has cleared. I would also consider adaptive aerodynamics and ride height like the Bugatti Veyron has by using some small hydraulic rams running a cantilever that would then connect to the upper spring mounts and be able to adjust the ride height relative to speed by using 4 lasers to measure ground clearance and relay the information back to the computer. The computer could also control a rear spoiler's attack angle to maximize downforce and aerodynamics depending on the demands placed on the car by the speed it is traveling at. A set of linear actuators could be used to accomplish this. I would also use the front spoiler off an El Camino to clean up the front end aero, with a carbon fiber splitter firmly attached to the car just below it to add frontal downforce around corners. Of course the car would have ABS and a performance oriented traction control system, necessitating a throttle by wire setup instead of the traditional cable. I am sure I can think of more, but yeah, this would be my ultimate, money's no object G body!

i prefer to keep 'em old school. I'll take a worked 502 set up with a hurst 4 speed. but...... i would definetly consider putting a hotchkis suspension upgrade and a complete brake upgrade. i'd put it all in a 87 or 88 bone stock looking monte ss.

http://gbodyforum.com/photos/index-10601.html

Currently doing a frame off on a 1981 Monte Carlo. Upgrades are:

1) Strange Dana 60 with 4.10
2) LS1 6spd from a 2000 Camaro (40,000 on Motor)
3) SC&C ATS C-5 Spindles with Spohn Control Arms
4) Baer 13" Brakes in front, 12" in back
5) Hotchkiss Springs and Sway Bar
6) Frame was medial Blasted and Powder Coated Gloss Black
7) Body has been media blasted and the underside painted trim black (Satin)
8) Will have an 86 LS Front Clip
8) Lots of Assembly and paint still required.

LS monte or 81-86 cutlass with a worked LS6, six speed manual,9" rear w/ 4.10s,corvette suspenison all the way around,nice fat tires in the back, i think a digital dash would be cool too.

My Regal set up to drift or circuit racing would be pretty cool. Im not sure what it would take to do that though.

jerrycad472 said:
http://gbodyforum.com/photos/index-10601.html

Currently doing a frame off on a 1981 Monte Carlo. Upgrades are:

1) Strange Dana 60 with 4.10
2) LS1 6spd from a 2000 Camaro (40,000 on Motor)
3) SC&C ATS C-5 Spindles with Spohn Control Arms
4) Baer 13" Brakes in front, 12" in back
5) Hotchkiss Springs and Sway Bar
6) Frame was medial Blasted and Powder Coated Gloss Black
7) Body has been media blasted and the underside painted trim black (Satin)
8) Will have an 86 LS Front Clip
8) Lots of Assembly and paint still required.

Jerry, you need to post more pics of that restoration!!! Gotta see gotta see!!! :shock:

im working on mine now. here are a few things that are either done to it right now or i have the parts sitting in my house for right now.

84 regal body that i added a asc moonroof to and i shaved the trim ring to it, welded it all in and molded it to look factory but its bigger and it vents

shaved handles, lock holes, anttena, firewall(no heat or ac)

frame has been blasted, primed and waiting to be painted dark blue mica pearl off of a lexus. energy bushings for EVERYTHING, 3.42 posi rear end with 1le 12" discs. ls1 big brake upgrade with slotted drilled rotors. f41 sway bars(for now) ans braces. air ride with fbss so it handles well(may take off later if it does not handle well). 17" centerline wheels

interior has 2000 bonniville grey bucket seats that are basically brand new with matching rear that has fold down armrests. (maybe upgrade later) the interior will have a fiberglassed and painted dash with a center council that is going to start under the dash and split the rear seat and follow into a glassed and painted rear dash. i have about a dozen screens but only gonna use a few of them depending on what i can get to fit tastefully. all eclipse music including a 55090 dvd head unit, 4 amps, 12" titanium sub and high end component speakers and point source speakers. trunk will be glassed to hold all audio, video and air ride equipment. dakota digital blue faced gauges.

engine, 350 vortec block with roller cam, vortec 906 heads, holley stealth ram intake manifold, tpi computer & wiring, headers, true duals, flowmaster 40s, roller rockers, all polished aluminum covers and brackets, lokar dip sticks and cables, painted to match car. and too much else to list. 700r4 transmission

so so much more to list..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor