Drop in Aluminum Radiator Under $300?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Niether Auto City or Cold Case radiators have the inlet and outlet correct size for Oldsmobile 307 application. Theirs are for Chevy. My inlet is 1.25 and oulet 1.5". I would need a upper hose with a 1.5" to make the one from Auto City to work.
Any hose suggestions? Other than flex.
An adapter bushing may be necessary. You might be able to use an A or B body upper hose for an Olds 307, 350 or 403 but their rads are 2" to 3" wider. If you stay 307, nearly any rad will do. The SBO Olds 260 and 307 are extremely easy to cool, the 350 OK, 403 not very nice, Olds increased each SBO by enlarging the bore only. The baby Olds V8's very thick cylinder walls and 8 to 1 compression with small ci help a bunch. I have a 1/2 plugged rad in my 88 with the 215 absolute max, usually around 190 with the 260, it was 230+ in a short trip with the 9.6 to 1 Olds 350.

Last edited:

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Boxcars. I called cold Case and spoke to Eric Casperson. He said the one they have is for the most popular g body. That's probably why the size is not OE for Oldsmobile. But probably is for Chevy.
I asked him if they could make one with 1.25 and 1.5. He said no.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Boxcars. I called cold Case and spoke to Eric Casperson. He said the one they have is for the most popular g body. That's probably why the size is not OE for Oldsmobile. But probably is for Chevy.
I asked him if they could make one with 1.25 and 1.5. He said no.

Are you saying that the dimensions of the radiator itself are different than the one I linked? Is the Olds unit different from a Buick unit? I know for my GN, it takes the same size radiator as an IROC Camaro. Not so with your G-body?

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
I don't exactly remember your link. One of the sites, cold Case or Auto City, noted GN was different. Don't know what was different.
When my original radiator blew, I had a local radiator shop look at it. He said too far gone to repair and he got a brass/copper 3 row identical to original. But I find it allows heat soak after long time on hiway and temp can go as high as 235. That's why I'm thinking of going aluminum. Longer story for a different thread.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I don't exactly remember your link. One of the sites, cold Case or Auto City, noted GN was different. Don't know what was different.
When my original radiator blew, I had a local radiator shop look at it. He said too far gone to repair and he got a brass/copper 3 row identical to original. But I find it allows heat soak after long time on hiway and temp can go as high as 235. That's why I'm thinking of going aluminum. Longer story for a different thread.

You don't remember the link? Go back to post #67 in this thread which I posted to help you out.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
You are correct. GMB57A advertised for $451.80 has the inlet/outlet for Oldsmobile with 307.
Now to call and get it cheaper....

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
FInally ordered that radiator. idk how fast champion ships, and Jegs has the same radiator slightly cheaper and free shipping. They collect tax, which is BS, but what can you do. I donated a dollar for cancer research too, so it's about $191 shipped to my door. Hopefully in a timely manner. I can install a rad anytime, but I'd like to have it wrapped up asap.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Champion-Cooling-Systems/166/EC162/10002/-1
Machine shop is taking longer than expected to do my 454 block, so I'm gonna take advantage of these 11ish days I have, and fix the regal as well. Shouldn't be too much. Day job I think, once I have all the parts. Engine gasket kit, already have a timing cover. i can reuse my oil pump stuff after a clean, etc.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That radiator, on jegs at least, wouldnt ship till the 11th. So I went with the other. Idk how fast champion ships so I went with jegs. I need it soon. Plus its better than what I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor