Drop spindles -- Any warnings or advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
What's the advantage of using Camaro spindles? Acceptance of larger rotors?

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Jack,

Steve can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the advantage of the Camaro spindles is similar to the B-body spindles in that they are taller to improve camber gain and yes, I think they also can accept larger rotors.

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
i have a set of beltech drop spindles on my car and they have been on for the past 2 years. never a problem and they dont mess up your alignment at all. drop spindles are the right way to go. if you want something thats cheap and hacked do drop springs and pay for an alignment. cutting springs or drop springs throw everything off.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Longroof79 said:
Steve,

the rotors on the camaro are 11". The camaro uses the same calipers and pad that the B body uses with their 12" rotor. It's a toss up whether you gain braking with have more leverage with the 12" rotor or you lose braking with more rotating mass with the 12" rotor. We ran the camaro spindle on the race car then going with a ford 9" with 5x5 bolt pattern we went with the B body since they also came with 5 x5 bolt pattern. The lap times did not change with the different front brake set up and the driver didn't find any difference between the two.

drogg1 said:
Jack,Steve can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the advantage of the Camaro spindles is similar to the B-body spindles in that they are taller to improve camber gain and yes, I think they also can accept larger rotors.

yes drogg1 your right....the other thing with the tall spindles your upper control arm is above the horizontalline, I also have lowering springs and a tall lower ball joint which means the upper never crosses the horizontal line. That way the inside tire on a turn will push the top of the tire out giving it positive camber so more of the tire is planted on the road, while the outside the suspension is being compressed to increase the negative camber due to the arc of the upper control arm which plants more of the tire onto the road.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
This is a pretty common swap in the '64-'67 Abodys. I run '78 T/A spindles and brakes on my '66 El Camino. In that case it lowers the car by about 1-2" and the handling was noticeably improved. Waaay better braking goes without saying. Tangent concluded :D .

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Steve,

Where did you source your taller ball joints if I may ask? And this using your shortened UCA for UB Machine?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
pontiacgp said:
Longroof79 said:
Steve,

the rotors on the camaro are 11". The camaro uses the same calipers and pad that the B body uses with their 12" rotor. It's a toss up whether you gain braking with have more leverage with the 12" rotor or you lose braking with more rotating mass with the 12" rotor. We ran the camaro spindle on the race car then going with a ford 9" with 5x5 bolt pattern we went with the B body since they also came with 5 x5 bolt pattern. The lap times did not change with the different front brake set up and the driver didn't find any difference between the two.

drogg1 said:
Jack,Steve can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the advantage of the Camaro spindles is similar to the B-body spindles in that they are taller to improve camber gain and yes, I think they also can accept larger rotors.

yes drogg1 your right....the other thing with the tall spindles your upper control arm is above the horizontalline, I also have lowering springs and a tall lower ball joint which means the upper never crosses the horizontal line. That way the inside tire on a turn will push the top of the tire out giving it positive camber so more of the tire is planted on the road, while the outside the suspension is being compressed to increase the negative camber due to the arc of the upper control arm which plants more of the tire onto the road.
=======================================================================================================
Thanks for the explanation guys. Much appreciated.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
They are Allstar performance tall ball joints, actually they are only repackaged moog truck ball joints. You have use a taper reamer to open up the spindle to use them and to install them in the lower control arm they need to be sleeved and welded in. I plan to get different lowers in the future to use screw in ball joints cause they are rebuildable and stronger. We had one of those allstar ball joints on the right side of the race car being compressed to the point the ball was pushing the tension spring down allowing the spindle moved far enough for the rotor to be grinding on the lip of the lower control arm. The car was throwing some good sparks. It was a new ball joint this year and giving it a normal test looked to be ok. It took us a few hours to figure that one out..

For my upper control arm I did cut the UB machine down to 7" which is supposed to work with the tall spindle but I didn't take into account the tall lower ball joint along with the lowering spring so with the 7" UCA it gets tight with alignment shims so I may adjust that to a 7.5 UCA

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor