Drop spindles -- Any warnings or advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Alright, I'm bring this one back from the dead. I was thinking about these again recently and started price shopping online. I noticed a couple vendors with a note about minimum wheel size of 17". Is that the case with most drop spindles or just certain manufacturers? Are any of you guys using aftermarket 14's or stock steel rims?

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
DRIVEN said:
Alright, I'm bring this one back from the dead. I was thinking about these again recently and started price shopping online. I noticed a couple vendors with a note about minimum wheel size of 17". Is that the case with most drop spindles or just certain manufacturers? Are any of you guys using aftermarket 14's or stock steel rims?

I have drop spindles on my blazer with chevy rally wheels that are 15x7 with a 4 inch backspace on it with absolutely no problems with clearance. would be exactly the same on our g body's.

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
DRIVEN said:
i have stock 15" monte ss rims on my el camino with beltech drop spindles no problems

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
i know this is a old thread but i was wondering if someone could give me the link or part number to there spindles?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I have no links to post. Its a pretty simple search to find many, many sellers. Summit, ebay, Speedway, etc.

Since I started this thread I should probably update and add some more info. I ended up not using dropped spindles. The reason was that my wheels were wider and even with stock springs/spindles it will occasionally rub when backing out of certain spots. A drop might have been possible with stock rims but not feasible with what I'm running.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My buddy used drop spindles and his tie rods hit the rims. He was too cheap to buy proper offset rims so he then used hub spacers for clearance. Now his front wheels are sticking out of the wheel wells and look stupid. He was too lazy to cut his springs a bit at a time until he got the height he wanted like I suggested. Oh well....

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I do not understand why everyone says drop spindles make the steering geometry worse, they only change the centerline of the spindle. A dropped spindle does not affect ride quality and does not affect the alignment. Please explain how it affects these items. I have had a set of drop spindles on my blazer for almost ten years without having it aligned after install, without any abnormal wear on my tires. My tires have almost 50,000 miles and probably still at least 8/32's left of tread. Either my vehicle defies logic or they do not affect the vehicle like everyone thinks. I would recommend drop spindles over springs for ride quality. Just my opinion. I have ground force spindles on my blazer not a single problem in ten years.

Sorry guys, a few run them and have no problems. The set I ran, they had sever bump steer issues. I should have seen a red flag after installing them, since the toe was way out of whack! I had to get it re-aligned. With the 17x8 front wheel, and AFCO coils and spring cups, I was able to get it pretty low, but hit a bump and man what a mission!

I ran them for a month before pulling them and just making my adjustable spring cup lower.

But, that is just my experience. Unfortunately, I don't remember what brand spindle they were. I guess the lesson here is make sure the steering arm has the same dimensions to be sure you bump steer will at least suck as bad as stock.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Air ride...
;)

Reactions: 1 user

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
I have no links to post. Its a pretty simple search to find many, many sellers. Summit, ebay, Speedway, etc.

Since I started this thread I should probably update and add some more info. I ended up not using dropped spindles. The reason was that my wheels were wider and even with stock springs/spindles it will occasionally rub when backing out of certain spots. A drop might have been possible with stock rims but not feasible with what I'm running.

What size are you running? I was going to ask how they worked out with bigger wheels.
I am running 15x7 235/60 on a 3.5 BS wheel. I've put 5660 springs in uncut and would agree that it could use a 1/4 coil cut to get a little lower to fit this bigger wheel a little nicer.
I guess the caveat is for guys to be aware of if or how this mod would work with a car that is already outside of stock....

If I can add one other thing with regard to the springs, 5660's are a nice upgrade, especially if you are running a larger than stock wheel, however if you lighten your front end with say aluminum manifold and heads and take out your AC, you may find that those 5660's now have the front sitting too high and will need a little more cut and you may then find them a little too stiff...

Trial and error seems to be the only way to know if a given system will work with your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor