Dropped Suspension and Shock Question

Discussion in 'Frame / Chassis / Suspension' started by mikester, Jun 12, 2018.

1. mikester

mikester G-Body Guru

I know this might sound like a pretty dumb question but do you need to change the length of your shocks if you do a 2" drop on your suspension ?
    Before I put my car into the body shop I had replaced all the shocks with the cheaper series of KYBs. Figured they would be okay for a driver. The car sat suspended on jack stands for a long time. My fault due to being laid up from knee surgery. When I took the car back down off the stands all four shocks pretty much lost their pressure. Im assuming from being fully extended. I couldnt find the receipt so I couldnt send them back for replacement. I went to the local auto parts and bought a set of Monroes for the front. Now that I put them in theres no give to the front at all. It almost feels rigid. That normal ?
    Im getting ready to pull the rear out so I can replace the control arms. Figured it would be good to ask !

2. 84dragcutlass

84dragcutlass G-Body Guru

I would say you need to look into shocks that fit your new application. Chances are after you did the drop and all your suspension has now settled in you're probably at the end of your travel on your shocks. Have you checked to make sure youre not sitting low enough to be on the bump stops?

3. pontiacgp

pontiacgp Canadian Prime Minister

your suspension does not compress any further with shorter springs than it does with stock springs. I changed my rear shocks to the shorter version cause the springs would fall out if I jacked up one of the rear corners of the car.

what is the spring rate of the springs you have in the front. The shock does not hold up the car, the springs do and the shock regulates the compression and expansion rates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. fleming442

fleming442 Comic Book Super Hero

.....and, if you used drop spindles, the wheel moved up while the travel stayed the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mikester

mikester G-Body Guru

Im pretty sure the fronts are dropped spindles. I just took it all apart, cleaned it all, painted it and put it back together. The previous owner did the drop.