BUILD THREAD Dualing projects...

Zelnak Zilla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2022
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hey all,
Joined a while ago but haven't really posted. Let's try this...

So, I have a '78 Malibu that's been a long-running project for, well, a long time. It's gone through multiple iterations over the years. A couple of years ago a tree fell on it. Wait there's more! It actually fell on my two-car garage. Which crushed the Malibu. And my '11 WRX. Not a fun day. For pix see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/189388125@N04/albums/72157715162144853

So, I figured I'd find a replacement. I found a non-running '81 Malibu with (almost) no body shell or frame rust. The floors were toast though. So I bought all the Goodmark parts to fix that. See pix here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/189388125@N04/albums/72177720305274178

But then I started watching YouTube videos on bodywork and metal shaping. Hmm... I think I can fix that crushed roof.

Sigh, so now I have two projects. Cool!

So, if I Fix the '78 then I'll need a plan for the '81. Not sure where that'll lead. It came with a Chevy 229/3.8 V6 and an automatic. I have a world class T5 and everything I need to use it in the '81 since it was originally in the '78 before I upgraded to the T56 Magnum. Just need to decide on an engine I guess. I have a way to go before I need to make that decision though. For now I'll be working on getting the floor replaced and the other body work it needs. I do have to weld in a few of those frame repair washers in the frame but after that I can clean up the frame and paint it.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'll chime in from time to time when I make some newsworthy progress.

Carry on!

Reactions: 4 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Sorry to see the damage, I like the look of the OG hopefully you will be able to get it fixed up

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I remember when you orignally posted about the tree. As long as the A, B & C pillars are still near spec there shouldn't be no reason to put another roof on. Undo the leaded seams & drill out the spot welds. Just get the donor cut below them. This also would be another T-Top conversion candidate.

Reactions: 2 users

Zelnak Zilla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2022
Lehigh Valley, PA
I remember when you orignally posted about the tree. As long as the A, B & C pillars are still near spec there shouldn't be no reason to put another roof on. Undo the leaded seams & drill out the spot welds. Just get the donor cut below them. This also would be another T-Top conversion candidate.

Ah, if it were only that easy to find a roof. Been looking since that first post. No joy...

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor