Dual exhaust

carman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2016
I own a sweat 1987 442 and my factory exhaust has to be replaced. I would like to upgrade to true duels, is this possible? is there a kit that includes everything from the cats back and does anyone know of a duel exhaust trans crossover that is available. I would like a slight rumble upgrade, not too loud, but noticeable any suggestions?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Since the EPA has been doing their smack down on thinks they are getting impossible to find. Pypes did have a X pipe dual kit that exited like the 442 stock set up & had cats added but also added $$$. They should still have a cat back OE like kit too. Most othes have dropped any dual kits for '76 & newer cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Since the EPA has been doing their smack down on thinks they are getting impossible to find. Pypes did have a X pipe dual kit that exited like the 442 stock set up & had cats added but also added $$$. They should still have a cat back OE like kit too. Most othes have dropped any dual kits for '76 & newer cars.
Crazy. The used pypes header back setup I grabbed used for $50 seams like a real score now. I couldn’t give it an away a few years ago. Now it’s going on my GP.
Also, I think I paid like $275 or something like that for my x pipe setup from pypes back in 08. Definitely wasn’t more than $400.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Isn't that sad. Pypes makes Olds down pipes. Get them and connect them into their 2.5" dual exhaust. I used the back half of Hooker 2.5" exhaust, Hooker Aerochamber mufflers with a compact X pipe and custom down pipes under the single hump cross member. It sounded super mean, the Olds V8 sounds great. My current Flowmaster FX mufflers also sound mean.
20210108_190539.jpg
20210108_190632.jpg
20210108_190557.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Since the EPA has been doing their smack down on things they are getting impossible to find. Pypes did have a X pipe dual kit that exited like the 442 stock set up & had cats added but also added $$$. They should still have a cat back OE like kit too. Most others have dropped any dual kits for '76 & newer cars.
Filling in the missing letters here... hurts my head.

• Haha

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I own a sweat 1987 442 and my factory exhaust has to be replaced. I would like to upgrade to true duels, is this possible? is there a kit that includes everything from the cats back and does anyone know of a duel exhaust trans crossover that is available. I would like a slight rumble upgrade, not too loud, but noticeable any suggestions?
All kinds of parts out there. I used a Summit X-pipe Kit for my SS, Jegs Double Hump Crossmember

EXHAUST2.jpg

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Exhaust shop made mine 2 1/2in with CATS and Hooker collectors. G Force dual hump. Tail pipes are (I can't remember)

Attachments

• Exhaust System MidSection Assy (4).jpg
    Exhaust System MidSection Assy (4).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 43
  • X Pipe (3).jpg
    X Pipe (3).jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DriveShaftSafetyloop4.jpg
    DriveShaftSafetyloop4.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Exhst Tip (SS) 1.jpg
    Exhst Tip (SS) 1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Exhaust shop made mine 2 1/2in with CATS and Hooker collectors. G Force dual hump. Tail pipes are (I can't remember)

Its very illegal for an exhaust shop to have done that. If the EPA caught them their business license would be pulled, their doors closed, and receive heavy fines. The EPA is known to send in undercover agents to bait repair shops into performing illegal work. Very similar to what the ATF does to gun shops.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I run dual cats on my 70S. I actually added 2.5" cats on the system shown I ran on my 88 CSC. I plan on running it in a 88 to 95 truck. There is no exact replacement available for the H/O and 442. The factory system thanks to using the terrible crossover wasn't very good. But the G body H/O and 442 have become valuable so staying stock is a good idea on a really nice car. But a custom made exhaust to loose power is a tough pill to swallow. If he wants improved performance, go with full length headers with 2.5" dual exhaust, it would not surprise me if he gained 40 HP and a bunch of TQ. I can see it getting ugly here for emission testing as well if Justin gets his way. If that is case, I wouldn't even be tempted to own another G body unfortunately.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor