Durability Of Painting A Vinyl Steering Wheel Grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am wondering if anyone has painted the vinyl grip on a steering wheel and had success on the durability factor.
I just bought some paint from GbodyParts that matches very well to my dash, I think my Grant wheel would be kind of cool looking with a matching grip but I feel since it will constantly be touched with possibly dirty, sweaty etc. hands I feel this would not be a durable option.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
We did a few when I worked at a body shop years ago. A comfort grip color change and a few of the older 50s-60s wheels that were cracked, epoxied them up and they seemed to last.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is the Grant wheel, it has a firm but soft vinyl grip and I just feel anything on there would wear off.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I sprayed my 4 spoke wheel with PPG vinyl dye years back. It hasn't been used on the car yet but from handling & letting a toodler "drive" with it seems to be holding up. A good quality dye will get into the pores of the vinyl. Alot will do with the prep work & having the right cleaners that is recomended or made by the dye manufacture.
DSCN3065.JPG

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am wondering more how it holds up on a hot summer day in real world conditions, I don't want to get out of my car and have burgundy palms.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
What about the Plasti-dip?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What about the Plasti-dip?
I already have matching interior paint, I think Plasti-dip probably works best when it is not disturbed so I am sure it would just rub off.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
With the cheaper spray bombs there could be a chance. With the stuff that needs to be mixed at the paint supply shop should hold up in the heat. I used to sell & mix at a shop that sold PPG & I got to talk to their sells rep about recoloring interior parts. He refered to the dye as colorant, went over doing low gloss for dashes, preping for hard plastics, soft trim.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For the same reason I wouldn't paint a seat is the reason I question doing the grip on the steering wheel since they are both subject to constant wear unlike other interior parts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor