dying seatbelts? dying interior parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy94c

Apprentice
Sep 3, 2016
Im changing my interior color and need to change the color on the belts and some of the plastic pieces.
Whats the best way to do that?

thx

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Depends on the colors. SEM Color Coat is great stuff. You might find it in a spray can if its a common color but so far Ive always had to have it mixed and sprayed out of a gun. No mixing required, VERY easy to use. The preparation is harder then applying the color. As far as the seat belts, Im not sure you can dye them.
One piece of advice, use a product like Bulldog on the plastic before you spray it. Its an adhesion promoter.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Speedy94c

Apprentice
Sep 3, 2016
Depends on the colors. SEM Color Coat is great stuff. You might find it in a spray can if its a common color but so far Ive always had to have it mixed and sprayed out of a gun. No mixing required, VERY easy to use. The preparation is harder then applying the color. As far as the seat belts, Im not sure you can dye them.
One piece of advice, use a product like Bulldog on the plastic before you spray it. Its an adhesion promoter.
IM going black

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You are not supposed to dye seat belts. The dye may affect the integrity of the material

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There are a couple places that sell GM replacement seat beats for our cars and if you think about it the webbing on the original ones are probably at least 30 years old.
If this was a street/strip car your 5 point safety harness would have to be re-certified every 2 years.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I've been using PPG products to get parts to match my original color. I'm partial to PPG since I used to mix it myself. with SEM, I haven't had any luck due to my color (dark maple code 77) not being in a spray can when I started to recolor stuff. For the seatbelts, my be better to get a set of repops if you can't find a good set of used ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor