Dying your interior panels with a spray can

Tiggertrucks

Apprentice
Mar 6, 2011
Bellflower, CA
Has anyone tried painting these pieces or should i let the shop do them?
I want them to match the car ( Gray on Grey w/ orange pin stripe )

Attachments

• IMG_20110905_125522.jpg
    IMG_20110905_125522.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,804

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
PGLM said:
85_455_cutty said:
PGLM said:
Next I have to paint "new" center console... Its from Mercury Sable -91 and it fits like a clove... :mrgreen:
Hows it look inside the car? ive been looking for a console to mess with and that one looks like it would work out pretty good.

here is one picture. It`s not painted yet, but you see the point...

That console looks ****in awesome.

Reactions: 1 user

350cutlassguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2010
Can yu paint the cloth part on the door or do yu have to get those done at the shop and yu paint the seat belts as well?

m6speed

n00b
Nov 26, 2010
nice, i usually use bond-aid first before i paint, gives me a little peace of mind that the paint won't chip or peel off.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
im not sure if its the pic but i see a white spot in the center after you re-installed it. everything looks real good tho man! nice, work! i re-did my entire interior and even tho i didnt go crazy light coats like you, mines seemed to dry perfect and still has all the original grooves and texture. definately something i wasnt too sure about trying, but after getting into it, turns out its pretty simple.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
Just to chime in here. I redid my interior the seats and stuff what I did was cleaned the vinyl really good.

then suffed it with some 220 grit (might have been 600 dont remember)

did about 8 very light dusting coats.

came out awesome.

they were white.

2c354338.jpg

4d323e1b.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
i havent done my cutty yet but i did repaint the entire interior in my mini van a couple years ago and it turned out really good. a couple tips i picked up aside from using the sdhesion promoter like others have mentioned are to set the spray cans in a bowl of warm water before using to thin the paint a little and help it spray even, and of course start and finish your spray past the part, ( meaning start spraying before you hit the part and spray untill your past the part before you let off on each pass ) and most imortantly, every few passes wipe off your finger tip because the paint will collect on the tip of your finger and drip into the path of the aerosol causing a splatter. i used the stuff from my local auto body supply store and did all the steps as recommended including cleaning the parts with something to remove all grease and oil, adhesion promoter and several light coats allowing the recomended amount of time to tack up between coats and a clear coat after and it turned out really nice. very durable also. two days after doing my dash i took a two hour roade trip and the wife drove , i had my feet on the dash the whole trip and it didnt leave so much as a mark on it.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Can you paint the Cutlass dashboards like this? I'm thinking about doing mine but it is messed up on the corners a little bit. Can you sand down a little bit to remove improfections? I'm Not sure if I want to do mine gray or black...

gjwilson84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 20, 2012
I did both my dash pad and my carpet with SEM shadow blue and plan on doing the rest of the trim parts with it also. On the carpet I pulled it out and cleaned it really good and just did light dusting coats to bring the color back. It was stiff at first but it is nylon fiber so it came out good and looks great where it was sun faded. As long as you clean the parts completely you shouldn't have problems. Another option for trim parts such as dash inserts is to have them vinyl wrapped. Some sign places can do it and I checked with a friend at a shop here locally and he said they have a ton of options.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor