Dying your interior panels with a spray can

79loserbluebu

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I'm making this thread just for people who don't know how to do this. It's very easy and I always see posts asking what to use and how to do it. I just recently removed my passenger side kick panel and repainted it, since I chipped it up putting it in originally, plus my car leaks water so it got under the chipped paint and ruined it.

I've used both Dupli-Color, and SEM, and in my personal opinion SEM is the superior paint.

Hint, when doing critical parts like the dash, door panels, and center console, try not to use the can until it is empty, once it starts to get about 3/4 of the way empty, switch to a new can. It sprays much differently when the can is nearly empty.

It's really simple:

1. Remove the panel from the vehicle

2. Clean and remove all grease, dirt, and old paint (factory paint will not come off, so get it as clean as possible). For the hard to reach areas, use a Q-tip. I have tried both rubbing alcohol, and paint thinner. Paint thinner is definately better, especially the non-"environment friendly" kind.

3. Go over it one more time with your cleaner and some paper towels, making sure you didn't miss any spots

4. Flip the piece over and do the smaller portion of the part first, or the parts less noticable. In the kick panels case, the outer edge facing the door. Spraying very light even coats is critical. I would spray and let it sit for 10 minutes before moving on and doing the next coat. PATIENCE IS KEY, rushing through it you will get runs and lose the original texture of the part.

First coat

After probably 4-6 light coats

5. Inspect the part after you think you've covered everything under a bright light. It really sucks putting the part back in and then realizing you missed an obvious spot.

6. This is optional, and as I learned last time my paint didn't hold up in the kick panel because well, it got kicked a couple times lol. I went with the SEM clear coat. Same as spraying the color, just light even coats until I think I've covered the entire panel.

Part painted for good

Installed in the car

Pictures of my interior that I did by myself. If a 20 year old kid that has no upholstery and interior trim repair experience can do this, then you can too!

I hope this thread helps anyone that is thinking about re-doing their interior. The interior parts can get costly and the chances that you will find a mint condition part in your color are getting slimmer and slimmer everyday.

-83MONTESS-

-83MONTESS-

Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Thanks for the info! You definatley cleared up some things for me. I got one question: whats the best way to remove paint from a vinyl upper door panel? Will thinner work on vinyl? I sprayed it with shitty rustoleum before changing my mind on the color. Thanks again.

• Useful
Reactions: eazyb and tetomas
Blake442

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Good tips.

I'll add that for the best results, hang the part to allow painting all the surfaces at the same time.
Wire hangers are great for this... easily bent up into any shape you need.

Reactions: Griffin84ss
Longroof79

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Good thread. This is among one of those FAQ (frequently asked questions). Good job...nice work. :)

pontiacgp

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's more expensive but if you are just painting some plastic parts and you want them to match the rest of the rest of the moulding in the car you can take a piece of the moulding you want to match a color to and a auto paint supply store. They can make you a spray bomb of that color. I did it for a few pieces and the color was right on, the cost of the spay bomb was $22 but it did contain more paint than what you usually find in a spray bomb

• Agree
Reactions: NWJon
M

Mathematic

Greasemonkey
Aug 19, 2009
thank you for this thread...

Thank you "BASED GOD".

87ttop

87ttop

Master Mechanic
Jan 8, 2011
chattanooga, tn
thanks man nice inrterior. I needed this because I have had my paint for about for months but afraid to start. I bought 6 cans of thomas bus grey for my complete cutlass interior minus seats just plastic do you guys think that will be enough for all plastic trim,door panel bottoms dash cap (the complete one). I already have great seats

79loserbluebu

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
6 cans should be plenty for the interior. I think that's about how much I used as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Malibu interior New Users 7
W Question about this electrical relay Electrical / Ignition / Starting 2
A interior color rpo Interior 8
C B pillar interior trim interchange? Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 6
C Interior interchange General Discussion 5
Dayzedandkonfuzed What do you use to clean your interior? Interior 3
86sbcmonte MONTE CARLO Interior color code General Discussion 3
P Wagon Rear Interior Panels w/custom speakers G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 5
stevenc8337 SS interior in a wagon Interior 10
B 1979 Grand Am Interior Parts Needed Pontiac Grand Prix/Grand Am/LeMans/Bonneville 21
81_El_Homewrecker Interior Drone/Sound Deadening Interior 33
Daca214 Thoughts on interior panels satin vs gloss General Discussion 14
Cla66640 Needing Interior parts General Discussion 6
C Searching for a couple interior pieces El Camino G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
jimsmonte80 1978-1988 G-Body upper rear quarter panel interior trim seal Interior 0
MikeBlasey PONTIAC wagon interior Wagons! 6
565bbchevy Interior Picture Of Roof Bracing General Discussion 5
QS442 Claret Interior paint code Interior 11
565bbchevy Ostrich interior with Gator center console. General Discussion 2
Firetruck1 Reproduction Malibu Wagon Interior Parts Interest General Discussion 17
B Interior time Interior 1
80oldscutlass New wheels and updates to interior Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 2
GP403 Interior mold and a wtf Interior 9
motorheadmike [Not Mine] NOS Interior & Exterior Trim Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 5
T Interior Paint code 62D Interior 3
Hubb79 Chalky interior panels Interior 0
Jjjem interior light/instrument cluster lights stop working Interior 0
Hubb79 Interior dye G-Body Build Threads 14
Hubb79 Interior paint G-Body Build Threads 8
N Interior pieces General Discussion 7
P Green Interior (81'+) Pontiac Grand Prix/Grand Am/LeMans/Bonneville 9
wskirvin CUTLASS Another interior thread Interior 5
MrSony Body Mount Trunk Cage Nut Repair Panels? Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 6
M Door panels General Discussion 2
5 Lower door skin panels Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 33
QS442 78-80 Cutlass Upper Sail Panels Wanted 0
J Sand gray door panels Interior 10
7 WTB 1978-80 Monte Carlo upper and lower sail panels Wanted 5
Tony1968 Help with under trunk and lower quarter panels Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 25
C Chrome rocker panels General Discussion 5
Hubb79 Upper door panels Interior 0