Dying your interior panels with a spray can

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I know that this is an old thread, but I have a seat recliner cover that I need to dye, and I have the SEM dye to do it. I've read elsewhere that its a good idea to apply adhesion promoter to the part after it is clean and dry, but just before you apply the dye. Has anyone here tried this? Is it a good idea?

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Whenever I spray plastic parts ( I just did my door panels, and all the other plastic pieces in my interior) I usually ht em with a scuff pad, wipe em down with rubbing alcohol to remove grease and such, then hit em with a promoter. Finally, spray em up.

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
not sure id use the adhesion promoter on soft stuff like upholstery. might stiffen it up. it works great for hard plastic pieces though. the hard stuff the dye mostly sticks to the surface, maybe penetrates a little into the top layer, but with cloth it pretty much soaks in. just my 2 cents

Reactions: 1 user

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
This is one half of my door panel i haven't taken pics of the top half but i used Dupli Color Vinyl and fabric paint.I did not use the promotor just the wax and grease remover and tack cloth to remove and dust and lint on it.

Attachments

• my monte 43.jpg
    my monte 43.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,776
Reactions: 1 user

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
jd20102011 said:
looks good

If you talking about my picture thanks they look good I will take a picture of it on the car.But prep is everything when painting on any surface.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I dyed my recliner cover this weekend. The prep worked really well, and the dye looks good. The colour isn't exactly right, so I have to weigh my options next.

rogerb

Apprentice
May 4, 2012
Sun City West AZ.
Great post of information have a question I have seen somewhere about covering the paint with a cover of "clear coat" in looking for some I get confused do you have a recomend item here. Thought I say it in gloss satin and flat which would be the closed to a "Factory Fresh" finish??

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When doing the clear on plastics I use SEM low luster clear to me it is the closest to factory shine, the high luster clear is far too shiny and does not look factory plus if you do a dash pad you don't want that shiny because of the sun glare.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
Satin would be the closest shine to factory.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor