Easiest way to drain a fuel tank on a non running car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I would highly recommend against this. I nearly burnt The Juggernaut to the ground and killed myself in the process doing this many years ago. One wrong move and your life can change in an instant.
Ask me how I know. On second thought, don’t. It’s not something I particularly care to relive.
to be fair, every time I've done this, it's been outside/inside & very well ventilated, and the tank has usually been out of the vehicle... like Donovan has pointed out, if you're using electric anywhere around the tank, make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy... the place I've done this before has around 8 within 1500 square feet...

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well the rule for punching holes in gas tanks is to use a BRASS punch. No sparks. That said I prefer to siphon the gas out and use it in lawn mowers and such. I got my Snap-On scanner from a guy that dropped a gas tank and burned down the entire shop. He didn't need it anymore........

• Haha

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
I prefer to not drink gas or spend the day squeezing a pump ball... get you a cheapie electric pump, jumper wires, and enough rubber fuel line...
This is what we did recently with our tank. We used electric pump and pumped from one tank to another car. So easy and neat

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is what we did recently with our tank. We used electric pump and pumped from one tank to another car. So easy and neat
I did the same for my Regal but filled extra gas cans so I could use it in my lawnmower

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hey buddy - watch it with that gas

beer gut blow torch.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I think jacking up the rear end on stands and putting air in the return line is the way to go.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Sparks IN the gas tank aren't going to do squat. Sparks and fuel outside the tank are what you need to worry about. Eons ago when I was young and dumb(er) I dropped a few matches in a fuel tank I was going to toss. It was fresh out of the truck (1988 Chevy C1500) with a rusty seam leak. Guess what happened? Same as if you'd dropped a match in a bucket of water. There was no oxygen in the tank to support combustion. What a letdown.

awdblazer

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2013
pressurize the vent line and put a hose into a jerry can or whatever before the mechanical pump
works like a charm

Reactions: 4 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
At least on mine 1981 El Camino there was a drain plug to the bottom back end of the fuel tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor