Edelbrock 1407 off idle bog

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Thank you. Wideband is an option that I looked into but i’d like to put it aside at the moment. I think a reliable one does cost some money and really I’d have to do all kinds of stuff to be happy with the install. Further, i have read they can become distracting, and I know for sure that would be an issue for me. I am very close with this and would like to stick with conventional methods at this point in time.

Distracting? No. I have one in 2 of my trucks, Corvette is about to get one too. Besides, you don't need to install it full time. Tune the carb and set the wideband on the shelf if you like. It's what I'll do to my Monte. With a wideband you can calculate your needed fuel area based on your current and the delta in desired AFRs. The old way works and all, but it's not very calculated and you never really know where you end up aside from the car seeming to behave which it can do with crap AFRs. An off idle stumble generally is an indication of 20:1 or leaner AFRs. It won't cough around 17:1, but that's not really where you want to be either. An AEM is only around $230.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Q Jet is the same issue.. Setup "perfect" but still flat spot off idle. Richen idle up a bit flat spot goes away. Seen it too many times.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Verified bowls are full?
Yes. Compression is 10.4:1 timing is 18 degrees plus another 16 mechanical for 36 at 3000 rpm plus vac advance off manifold vaccum

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Distracting? No. I have one in 2 of my trucks, Corvette is about to get one too. Besides, you don't need to install it full time. Tune the carb and set the wideband on the shelf if you like. It's what I'll do to my Monte. With a wideband you can calculate your needed fuel area based on your current and the delta in desired AFRs. The old way works and all, but it's not very calculated and you never really know where you end up aside from the car seeming to behave which it can do with crap AFRs. An off idle stumble generally is an indication of 20:1 or leaner AFRs. It won't cough around 17:1, but that's not really where you want to be either. An AEM is only around $230.
I have already identified off idle is lean. I just don’t know how to richen it without disturbing everywhere else.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Off idle is lean but just about guarantee your dynamic compression is too high.

What's Your LSA and Intake degrees opening before TDC?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
10.4 at 18 at idle?? Try back your timing down abit.
If i back my timing off it will screw with my all in which i am happy with. I was leaning towards primary jet change or drilling out the accelerator pump nozzle or maybe even a needle change? Just having trouble making sense of the manual.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
If you engine works with what you have, just try richen idle a bit and see if bog goes away...

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
If you engine works with what you have, just try richen idle a bit and see if bog goes away...
Idle mix screws? Lsa is 110 i can pull up cam specs in a few if you think it will help

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor