El Camino body Mount #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooddie14

n00b
Jan 5, 2017
So I'm fitting some thing on my 78 El Camino before I blast it and paint it and noticed one of my body mounts not correct. #3 bushing appears to be too thin/short, on both side. All of the other mounts are fitting and snugged up with new bolts. There appears to be about a 1/4" gap like the bushing is too short. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5313.JPG
    IMG_5313.JPG
    657.8 KB · Views: 338

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
#3 is supposed to go on the opposite way of all the others for some strange reason. Thats how the factory did it. Swap the upper and lower around and you should be good to go.

Reactions: 1 user

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Streetbu is correct, I just looked at the instructions that came with my polly bushings and number 3 is supposed to be installed opposite the others or "up-side down" if you will
IMG_0079.JPG

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Capg mounts 80.PNG

The above is for El Camino.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

wooddie14

n00b
Jan 5, 2017
Thanks for the replies everyone however, I don't see that this will fix the problem. The mount listed in my instructions is the same as the energy suspension diagram above. I bought mine years ago from PST. Bushing number 4131 and 4132 are used. If I switch the top and bottom it doesn't fix problem, still have about 1/4" gap between body and top of bushing. I took the #3 bushing out and took a picture of it, as you can see the top and bottom are nearly identical size or thickness. Also the way it's pictured is the way the instructions say to install it, 4131 on top and 4132 on bottom. 4131 is actually slightly thicker at about .93". The bottom is about .90" thick. I will have more time later to investigate.

Attachments

• IMG_5316.JPG
    IMG_5316.JPG
    466.5 KB · Views: 289

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would put a jack with a piece of wood near that spot and jack up the frame till the gap is closed and then tighten up the bolt. It could be the car was driven around with bad or missing bushings and that could have caused the C channel to tweak.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
About the only thing firmer than a G Body frame is overcooked spaghetti.

But, is it possible the body bottom at the mount could also be tweaked.
Loosen all the body mount bolts and rad support(if fenders still attached) on one side, check that all mounts are in position and tighten all the bolts in sequence a turn or two at a time until the torque spec is reached. Are the rocker panel seams/lip straight from front to back? Any accident damage to the body or frame? Before tightening make sure the rocker panel gap is parallel to the frame rails and there is equal space on each side of the car at the rocker lip to frame rail.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor