electric choke wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Get it to temp (full warm) and shut it off. Turn both screws in gently until they seat. Turn them back out 1.5 turns. Hook up a vacuum gauge to a manifold vacuum source (vacuum present at idle) and turn it back on. Turn the screws out 1/4 at a time for BOTH, let the engine adjust to the change. Keep readjusting idle speed to 650rpm in park or as low as you can get it without heavy lope or bucking. Adjust idle fuel mixture for best vacuum.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
I did notice a sound while in park. Don't hear it in drive..is this what they call a ping? I've been putting 87 octane in. Previous owner says should use 90s. I have been a little rough with the car today. Sounds like a rattle...?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It sounds like an exhaust leak. How is the oil pressure? Yeah traction is an issue with a 403. I would run premium, you should be around 9.5 to 1 compression.

Reactions: 1 user

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
9.5 to sounds about right. Those headers look like they were beaten into the car and has been patched up. You can't hear like a rattle? You think going to a bigger carb is doing this? Or I just need to adjust the timing or other stuff due to the bigger carb?

Last edited:

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
9.5 to sounds about right. Those headers look like they were beaten into the car and has been patched up. You can't hear like a rattle? Think that's the carb doing it?
Oil pressure is at 60. Always stays at 60. Might have a small flicker but never drops dramatically

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Where is your timing currently set? You want 36 to 38, base and mechanical timing combined in by 3000 rpm at the latest with iron heads with as much vacuum advance as possible, which may not be much. Your oil pressure is very good, maybe too good, should've up and down 20 psi at least from idle to highway speed. Unless it is running lean, which it should not be, the carb should not be causing it.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
that thing is running like *ss
got some tuning to do.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Timing was set at 36° at 3k rpm last year. I have a buddy coming over tonight to check the timing and possibly move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor