Electric cooling fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If you go to any larger picknpull junkyard there are usually 20-50 Chrysler LH cars (Intrepid, 300M, LHS, etc). Even smaller Junkyards usually have at least 5... for $35 out the door.

The later LH cars with two low profile fans (earlier ones had one high profile fan motor) and look for the fans with 2 square relays mounted to them. These are 5 pole relays (just add the missing 5th wire) and are factory designed to handle the motors.

The LH fans are good, because cooling an LH is tricky. The DOHC V6 is wide and slammed right up against the radiator and the the exhaust manifolds go forward and make a 180 degree bend so the cats sit on the side of the motor, in the engine compartment. There is a lot of heat and short hoods make little room for airflow to remove the heat.

When you come upon an LH in the junkyard, you first think "there is no way that radiator is coming out without breaking it into small pieces", but the core support completely unbolts and the radiator easily come right out the top.

New LH fans are about $100 off amazon. I recommend getting a $35 junkyard one, making a wiring harness you are happy with and if the junkyard one fails, buy a new one and swap over your harness.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
any stealth installs out there using the factory shroud ?
I managed to get a '95 Thunderbird Fan in the shroud. I cut the fan up and used cage nuts to bolt the fan to the shroud. I like the way it looks and it works great.

• Creative
Reactions: 2 users

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
Good comparison to the Olds 455, both can be a challenge to cool. The Dodge Stratus fans work well, move a lot of air and are the right size. I can tell you the single 40 amp relays don't last with those fans. Get the Champion American Eagle 2 core or their 4 core for the G body. A member on here has a 10 to 1 Olds 403, doesn't get above 180 with the 4 core. I had the 3 core, it was not big enough. It went between 190 and 210 and would hit 240 towing with my 8 to 1 403.
Great info thank you! As I said my mechanic says if I do not use mechanical go with a 4 row pusher.

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
If you go to any larger picknpull junkyard there are usually 20-50 Chrysler LH cars (Intrepid, 300M, LHS, etc). Even smaller Junkyards usually have at least 5... for $35 out the door.

The later LH cars with two low profile fans (earlier ones had one high profile fan motor) and look for the fans with 2 square relays mounted to them. These are 5 pole relays (just add the missing 5th wire) and are factory designed to handle the motors.

The LH fans are good, because cooling an LH is tricky. The DOHC V6 is wide and slammed right up against the radiator and the the exhaust manifolds go forward and make a 180 degree bend so the cats sit on the side of the motor, in the engine compartment. There is a lot of heat and short hoods make little room for airflow to remove the heat.

When you come upon an LH in the junkyard, you first think "there is no way that radiator is coming out without breaking it into small pieces", but the core support completely unbolts and the radiator easily come right out the top.

New LH fans are about $100 off amazon. I recommend getting a $35 junkyard one, making a wiring harness you are happy with and if the junkyard one fails, buy a new one and swap over your harness.
I have been going top notch parts so my mechanic recommended the Champion 4 row pusher. It would leave more room in the engine compartment.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Great info thank you! As I said my mechanic says if I do not use mechanical go with a 4 row pusher.
4 row aluminum? And a pusher fan?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I was wondering the same thing. I wonder why the mechanic is suggesting a pusher fan???? Other than a couple inches of engine clearance maybe.

Well he has to have more room than I do and I made a dual puller fan fit.

• Agree

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well he has to have more room than I do and I made a dual puller fan fit.
I didn't realize a BBO would be that close to the radiator! Typically the closest point would be the water pump pulley, and the dual puller setups are spaced leaving more room in the center of the assembly.
However, I'm no expert on big block setups so I trust your judgement on that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor