Electric cooling fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Typically pusher fans are used as an auxiliary fan along with a puller set up and is usually wired to a manual switch to turn on when additional cooling is needed (sitting in Dream Cruise traffic), the only reason to go with a pusher fan instead of a puller would be for unusual set ups where packaging does not leave any room at all.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Why not a pusher. It's gets it out of the engine compartment.

The fan is only for slow speeds/stopped. A car should cool passively above 45 mph. A Pusher fan would impede the airflow to a radiator at highway speeds.

A small Pusher can be installed to blow air on a hot spot (like an oil cooler) or make the A/C coil a little cooler, but a pusher for primary cooling is a bad idea.

A deep core support air dam can pull/push more air through a radiator THAN ANY fan you can install. A pusher can't lower the relative pressure on the back side of the radiator to make sure air flows through the radiator. Just blowing air on a radiator, doesn't make sure the air is flowing through it. If the pressure on the back side is higher, the air will just stall in the fan.

My experience is that most pusher fans are installed by idiots. I personally know three people that installed a Pusher on three different cars and then complained of high speed overheating, only to find they wired the fan backwards and it was pulling FROM the engine compartment at low speed.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My experience is that most pusher fans are installed by idiots. I personally know three people that installed a Pusher on three different cars and then complained of high speed overheating, only to find they wired the fan backwards and it was pulling FROM the engine compartment at low speed.
Now that's funny, maybe they were trying a new innovative way to remove heat from the engine compartment.

Reactions: 1 user

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
The fan is only for slow speeds/stopped. A car should cool passively above 45 mph. A Pusher fan would impede the airflow to a radiator at highway speeds.

A small Pusher can be installed to blow air on a hot spot (like an oil cooler) or make the A/C coil a little cooler, but a pusher for primary cooling is a bad idea.

A deep core support air dam can pull/push more air through a radiator THAN ANY fan you can install. A pusher can't lower the relative pressure on the back side of the radiator to make sure air flows through the radiator. Just blowing air on a radiator, doesn't make sure the air is flowing through it. If the pressure on the back side is higher, the air will just stall in the fan.

Excellent information thank you. I am no expert on electrical fans so I greatly appriciate your input. Your explanation was easy to understand and it makes sense. I will order a puller. Thank you again for the information!

Reactions: 1 user

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
Typically pusher fans are used as an auxiliary fan along with a puller set up and is usually wired to a manual switch to turn on when additional cooling is needed (sitting in Dream Cruise traffic), the only reason to go with a pusher fan instead of a puller would be for unusual set ups where packaging does not leave any room at all.
I have room for either. It makes sence from all the good feed back I am getting. Thank you!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have room for either. It makes sence from all the good feed back I am getting. Thank you!
Go with a dual puller fan like everyone else and you won't have any cooling issues with your new radiator.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor