Electric Trucks - Lightning reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
What is the resale market going to be like when these vehicles are 5 years old. Who’s going to want to replace batteries at what insane price. You’ll have dealers won’t even take them as trade ins like I know for fact happened in the mid late 70s with Chevy Vega’s.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
How much of that statement is hyperbole?
Not much. Ever hear of a place called chernobyl? A much worse disaster was barely avoided due to a mixture of soviet ordering and bravery, things lacking from modern western society.

In fact, recent literature shows that the meltdown slag has RESTARTED having reactions and releasing spiking radiation,, leading to concerns of additional structural collapse and new environmental release, not to mention the original fears of material reaching the water table.
Of the people around Fukushima who were evacuated and today are not back in their homes, what percentage of the area's pre-accident population are prevented from going back due to contamination and what is the ratio of those voluntarily staying-away?
Fukushima, like chernobyl, STILL has not been cleaned up. Additionally, they are planning to begin RELEASE of radioactive water into the oceans because they have nowhere to store the contaminated product that results from needing to keep pumping water in to the damaged unrepaired reactors A DECADE LATER.

Yes, IN A DECADE+ they haven't yet cleaned up the mess or stopped the damaged reactors from undergoing reactions. Not a strong point.
Speaking of Vogtle-3 and Vogtle-4, right? "Headed for two decades" is misrepresentation if you don't provide context.
Not a misrepresentation, corporations are big boys. If there was a contractual cost sharing agreement going in then there would be payments from companies pulling out. Yet the power company sticks it up the *** to customers by charging them for these consistent cost overruns.

Also, one thing that is continuous in government and building codes are changes. Even residential builders have to change how they do things as years go by.

What's more, simply adding new reactors to an existing location should
ld be EASIER than starting from scratch, so what you're saying is a brand new plant will likely take twice as long or longer due to all the extra hurdles and requirements rightm
  • Do gas/coal plants have the same amount of regulation as nuclear?
Good point against nuclear. Where is all the extra spent fuel going to go? What about the security to keep it from terrorist hands or creating accidents along the way?
  • Who had to suck-up the costs for the amended design certification? It wasn't the NRC and to me it seems then-Chairman Jaszko was trying to delay things as much as he could
  • During the delay for the amended design certification, who pays the interest for the down payment? Does the cost of labor go up over time? Do you think there were costs for "putting-off" when you would need to start ramping-up the number of construction laborers?
You act like neither of these will happen again over the extensive permit process, site selection, NIMBY pishback, fights against eminent domain, government overreach, etc. Or recent materials costs spiking, you don't think as more reactors try to be built costs for parts or specialized components will spike too?
  • Southern has had to suck-up development costs that initially were going to be spread-out among them, SCANA (Summer-2 and Summer-3, construction abandoned 2017), TVA (planned Bellefonte-3 and Bellefonte-4, but idea scrapped to try completing Bellefonte-1), FPL (I think they have COLs for Turkey Point-7 and -8 but they haven't signed a contract to build), Duke, and Progress (I think Duke and Progress were each talking one greenfield site but dropped-out to concentrate on their existing fleets once price of natural gas started to drop due to fracking)
Again, if there was a cost sharing agreement in place other companies party to the agreement should be kicking in money. If it was just HOPED that things they were buying would cost less if other bought them, sounds like piss poor planning and scary to think such short sighted idiots would run a nuclear facility. Sounds like a made up line of BS being fed by thr company to try and cover their incompetence.
  • What other companies have marketed nuclear power plants in the US in the past 20 years, how mature are those designs, and what is their construction status? That'd be helpful for comparison

And how many nuclear facilities have been taken offline, and/or are scheduled to be taken offline in the past couple decades or near future. People don't want to be near nuclear and lobby to get RID of the plants. But the same idiots want the plant near someone else, in an area with less money/political capital & representatives to fight against it. Love to see a nuke plant in downtown Atlanta, sanfrancisco or LA.
  • To start producing power, a nuclear power plant has to have the first 18-24 months of fuel already on-site (ie, in the core) whereas gas/coal plants don't have the same requirement -- for nuclear, a good chunk of your total cost of ownership is upfront
Another good point. With the anti-mining crowd in the western states these days fighting gold extraction, who is going to be OK with opening more uranium mines?
  • Considering the main people at the controls of a nuclear power plant have to be licensed by the NRC, how much additional cost is training and retention at a nuclear power plant compared to a gas or coal plant?
And how many of these extra qualified personnel are around to competently man new plants? You want a staff full of rookies manning a newly operational site? How many places can you slowly blend them in to existing experienced operators to gain experience?

Sounds like another argument why you should NOT see an explosion of new nuke plants across the US, but, if we know coal and gas are out to meet energy needs then... hmm. Even all the hot air by California talking heads won't turn enough turbines to meet needs.

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
I have an appreciation for hybrid electric vehicles but not electric-only vehicles. Some places of the country have trouble providing the existing electrical demand. And nobody wants new transmission lines built over their house.

I've only seen 4-door trucks in the marketing of the F150 EV, despite the battery pack being under the floor. Wish I had a dedicated 1.5 car garage to park it in like in the marketing pictures. Problem with the hybrid was 4-door only because of where they put the battery pack. I want a regular cab and 8-foot bed in a truck, not an oversized four-door sedan with a bed.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have an appreciation for hybrid electric vehicles but not electric-only vehicles. Some places of the country have trouble providing the existing electrical demand. And nobody wants new transmission lines built over their house.

I've only seen 4-door trucks in the marketing of the F150 EV, despite the battery pack being under the floor. Wish I had a dedicated 1.5 car garage to park it in like in the marketing pictures. Problem with the hybrid was 4-door only because of where they put the battery pack. I want a regular cab and 8-foot bed in a truck, not an oversized four-door sedan with a bed.
I'm actually more interested in the hydrogen cell rechargeable units that seem to have fallen to the wayside in favor of these battery platforms. But.... these days it's all about the 'hot hand' as it were.

A serious government would build a high speed rail line from an existing isolated metro (vegas?) that runs into govt owned land that isn't used for grazing or forestry.

Build a MASSIVE solar complex in the middle of nowhere, and let people ride a 40 minute train into a complex that manufactures cells through that massive solar resource. Load finished cells on rail networks for distribution. Done.

But instead of that, we get rechargeable battery evs which are asinine

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
See, here's the thing. One oil tanker has an accident, or, Deepwater horizon goes you pollute a little bigger area. But life goes on.

One nuclear accident and you **** up 1/4 of the planet for hundreds of years.

Also, nuclear plants don't go up in a year. Or even 5. Here in GA they've been trying to build one, ONE new plant and it's headed for 2 decades to come online with a price tag in BILLIONS.

For all this talk about EVs nobody, NOBODY addresses the trio of gorillas in the room - lack of infrastructure from power generation, to distribution and substations and wires to move the juice for all that extra demand; for all the talk of "renewable sources" the sun don't shine overnight, and wind only goes so far before causing environmental damage of its own; finally, there's shortages of minerals to build those battery packs - not to mention the damage to pull them from the earth.

It's going to literally blow up in people's faces.

Cyber attacks would also like to have a word with you.

The delivery of gas and oil can very easily be made analogue again. If we want.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The so-called green jobs are pie in the sky. 20 years down the road at best. They may provide the "green" results, but the sausage-making to get there will never be revealed because it simply isn't environmentally convenient. Nuclear power was one of the cleanest power generation methods you can have at the time for sunk cost per KW generated. Even cheaper than wind. The only real difference between coal and nuclear is the how you generated the steam. The problem is, spent fuel rods piled up and the DOE and Yucca mountain got politicized and got all fugged up, so everyone involved got fooked.

I've been out of the commercial nuclear energy generation field for more than 20 years now. I worked at FPL Turkey Point and Florida Power at the coveted (at the time) Crystal River nuke plant, now all that belongs to Duke Energy IIRC. A few years after I left for an FDA vs. NRC oversight job, they fixed a crack in the containment wall, and when that was completed subsequent inspection of the containment wall revealed another big azz crack so...down she goes and hadn't been up since. I loved that place. But SC was my home. It was quite the decision to leave, but glad I did, looking back on it.

I can tell you where they get MOST of the staff for commercial nuclear power plants- U.S. Navy. I was one of them. NRC and commercial plants are LOADED with ex-Navy nukes. And as far as retention, even back then, you pass your NRC qualification and you get a healthy bonus, I believe it was $25K or so, then the periodic requal exams, and boom, $20,000 bonus. Retention was good in many places in the control room. But the thing is, you're responsible to the NRC directly as that's who you're getting your license from.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
All this anti nuke talk when France has 70% of their power from nuclear. Chernobyl? Old *ss design.
It can be done. I reject your reality and insert my own. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
All this anti nuke talk when France has 70% of their power from nuclear. Chernobyl? Old *ss design.
It can be done. I reject your reality and insert my own. :LOL:
Of all the dysfunctional places to emulate, France wouldn't be near the top of my list :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I've worked in 2 "green" energy jobs 1st solar panels are highly toxic full of chromium and cadmium and theres no way to recycle them when there broken or worn out, the building off I-25 near Firestone in CO has been closed and basically condemned because of the health risk of the ovens and machinery inside coated with the stuff. 2nd was wind turbines every model that we produce has increased in power produced so they are getting better but damn the debris we make is horrible it's a balsa dust that's got a resin binder soaked in so it doesn't degrade well and the rest in a weighted foam that will never degrade so for being green its killing the earth just as bad, and this debris is a fine dust that gets every where so it looks like fresh snow every where and every delivery of materials or products we open our large bay doors and there it goes out into the environment and it's worse in the summer because all the doors are open. There's a dark side to green energy that know one wants to admit is there

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor