Electrical/gauge system change in '84?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
There are a lot of cool gauge clusters out there for G-Bodies and specifically the Regal, but I'm noticing in the fine print that a lot of them are made to work in '84 and newer models. Was there a big electrical system architecture change in '84? I know for the Dakota Digital VHX, it requires an add-on control box to work in older models, as well as some cutting and modification of the dash housing. Is this an issue with other clusters? Any experience or information appreciated. Thanks.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I believe the only difference is the dash layout with the later years having an open center on the gauge bezel which makes it easier to make a single gauge cluster for, the older ones had separate squares but can apparently can use a modified later model bezel on the older models.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/vhx_install_early_regal.pdf

s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor