Eliminating the Choke Light

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
A search didn’t produce any results so I thought I’d put the question out there. After an ls swap my choke light stays on. I know I can remove the bulb, but is there any reason I’d want to rectify it another way?

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Use it as a oil pressure warning light.
I thought that was what that was originally used for. At least in the Chevrolet Trucks, that was what they were used for.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Yeah, you will need an oil pressure switch for the version of your car with an oil pressure light instead of a gauge. You will have to find where the wire for the choke light is in the harness and attach it to the peg on the sensor. If you have a bundle of extra unidentified wires left in the original engine harness after the motor swap, it might be with them.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I thought that was what that was originally used for. At least in the Chevrolet Trucks, that was what they were used for.
It's a dual purpose light. The two terminal oil pressure switch is used to trip with low pressure as we all know & works with electric choke with a power source or the circuit & warns of a issue with the circuit. To be honest I never seen the light tripped by the choke but have had it tripped by low oil pressure.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
There should be a green wire with a white stripe on the connector to the oil pressure sensor under the distributor. That's the wire that operates the light.

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
There should be a green wire with a white stripe on the connector to the oil pressure sensor under the distributor. That's the wire that operates the light.
Thanks, I know that one is still there with the choke pigtail coming off of it.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
It's a dual purpose light. The two terminal oil pressure switch is used to trip with low pressure as we all know & works with electric choke with a power source or the circuit & warns of a issue with the circuit. To be honest I never seen the light tripped by the choke but have had it tripped by low oil pressure.
Makes sense.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor