Eliminating VVT using stock cam LY6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
If you decide later it's too tame, you can always put something nastier in there. I would recommend putting in a set of LS6 or LS3 valve springs. The LS3 cam is probably too much for the truck valve springs. The LS6 springs are a direct swap. I've done it.

Texas82GP I was rereading this because Im trying tomake final decisions on the drive train of my motor, If I go with Ls6 springs I can install using the hardware (retainers etc) that are already on my LY6? Im trying to decide if its better to get the hot cam package or maybe I can get just a comparable like a howards but Id still need springs.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
With both hot cam installs, as I recall the kits came with new retainers and we reused the locks. If not, then we reused the retainers. We didn't buy new retainers.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Cool So If I decide on a cam I dont need a whole kit, I can get just the cam and the ls6 springs. Well see I may still just get the whole lshot cam kit from Gm. Or I may get the hot cam equivalent from Howards cams, get the springs and use the savings toward the trunion upgrade. I already have the vvt delete kit and timing chain, the Holley mounts and pan on route. All I need is the cam, springs. After that I can put the motor together. Then Ill be hunting for an Ls3 intake, what ever Im missing for sensors.
Thanks Lmk if any of you think I'm missing something

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We bought the hot cam kit and it included the cam, springs and retainers as I recall now.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I think I saw somewhere that the LS6 springs will work with the LY6 retainers and keepers. I'm not 100% sure though, so hopefully somebody that knows will chime in. I'm just shopping value. I'm not so much cheap as I just don't want it to take longer than need be. So the better the values I can get then I can use the savings toward other parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor