Emissions help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
First build, never gone through the emissions process before. This is my first car lol. I have a 78 monte carlo with a 69-80 350, unknown cam, with a 600cfm carb. It has unknown longtubes, true dual, to glasspacks. Will i need cats for 78? I live in larimer county, and apparently i need to pass a “two speed idle test”. Ive heard an oil change might help? Thanks in advance

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Good luck!

My brother moved from Denver to Minneapolis, partly because, they're so unfriendly to older cars (buncha granola eatin', weed smokin' hippies!).

There's a couple CO members here. They may have some actual insights.

Reactions: 1 users

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Lots of great engine guys on here. Can you get the engine code off the block so we can ID the engine. Also can you post picks and let us know the brand of carb. Does the engine have any emissions parts installed now?

Also let us know your automotive knowledge. Are you comfortable adjusting a carb, adjusting timing (if needed) checking vacuum, changing plugs etc etc...

How many miles are on the engine?

Also post some pics. This forum likes pics!

Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Google is your friend. Cat's will definitely help but tuning that aftermarket carb with the correct tools will be key. Has the car passed in Colorado previously?

You could pass the bong to the technician before he tests your car.

Two Speed Idle Tailpipe Test in Colorado
Colorado requires emissions test personnel to perform the two speed idle tailpipe test on the following vehicles:

• Gasoline cars made in the 1981 model year or earlier
  • Gasoline light-duty trucks made in the 1981 model year or earlier (Trucks weighing less than 8500 lbs)
  • Gasoline Heavy – duty trucks made after 1992 model year or later (Trucks weighing more than 8500 lbs)
The two speed idle tailpipe test is pretty straight forward. First, test personnel place a probe into a vehicle’s tailpipe to measure the emissions coming from it. Afterwards, they attach a contact tachometer to the spark plugs of the vehicle, or place one on the vehicle’s hood if the test personnel are unable to get to the vehicle’s spark plugs. Tachometers typically measure the number of rotations of an engine’s crankshaft per minute or to put another way, the engine’s speed. Next, while the vehicle is in Park or Neutral, the test personnel will have the vehicle idle for 30 seconds. Then, the test personnel revs the vehicle’s engine to 2500 RPM. Finally, they idle the vehicle for another 30 seconds.

Parts Per Million (ppm) and Percent (%) are the units of measurement used to determine the test results. There are a small group of vehicles manufactured in the 1981 model year and earlier that are exempt from the two speed idle tailpipe test. Also, certain kit cars and vehicles manufactured outside of the U.S. may also be exempt. Contact a local Colorado DMV for further details.

Reactions: 2 users

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
Google is your friend. Cat's will definitely help but tuning that aftermarket carb with the correct tools will be key. Has the car passed in Colorado previously?

You could pass the bong to the technician before he tests your car.

Two Speed Idle Tailpipe Test in Colorado
Colorado requires emissions test personnel to perform the two speed idle tailpipe test on the following vehicles:

• Gasoline cars made in the 1981 model year or earlier
  • Gasoline light-duty trucks made in the 1981 model year or earlier (Trucks weighing less than 8500 lbs)
  • Gasoline Heavy – duty trucks made after 1992 model year or later (Trucks weighing more than 8500 lbs)
The two speed idle tailpipe test is pretty straight forward. First, test personnel place a probe into a vehicle’s tailpipe to measure the emissions coming from it. Afterwards, they attach a contact tachometer to the spark plugs of the vehicle, or place one on the vehicle’s hood if the test personnel are unable to get to the vehicle’s spark plugs. Tachometers typically measure the number of rotations of an engine’s crankshaft per minute or to put another way, the engine’s speed. Next, while the vehicle is in Park or Neutral, the test personnel will have the vehicle idle for 30 seconds. Then, the test personnel revs the vehicle’s engine to 2500 RPM. Finally, they idle the vehicle for another 30 seconds.

Parts Per Million (ppm) and Percent (%) are the units of measurement used to determine the test results. There are a small group of vehicles manufactured in the 1981 model year and earlier that are exempt from the two speed idle tailpipe test. Also, certain kit cars and vehicles manufactured outside of the U.S. may also be exempt. Contact a local Colorado DMV for further details.
Not sure if its passed before, didnt run when i bought it. Guy i got it from couldnt get it to go

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
Lots of great engine guys on here. Can you get the engine code off the block so we can ID the engine. Also can you post picks and let us know the brand of carb. Does the engine have any emissions parts installed now?

Also let us know your automotive knowledge. Are you comfortable adjusting a carb, adjusting timing (if needed) checking vacuum, changing plugs etc etc...

Lots of great engine guys on here. Can you get the engine code off the block so we can ID the engine. Also can you post picks and let us know the brand of carb. Does the engine have any emissions parts installed

Engine code is 3970010. Edelbrock performer eps and 600cfm combo. I just changed plugs, but there is no timing tab on the timing cover so i cant test that. I am comfortable with everything up to rejetting and changing springs on carb, dont want to tear it apart. Unknown miles and internal parts, engine was in car but not running when i bought. Currently have cruise control? And charcoal canister installed (see pics)

Attachments

• BC0EEE92-E868-4622-BA43-30F57FEB8F67.jpeg
    BC0EEE92-E868-4622-BA43-30F57FEB8F67.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 278
  • 19E802A2-91EB-4EF6-921E-AA76B90BE3A1.jpeg
    19E802A2-91EB-4EF6-921E-AA76B90BE3A1.jpeg
    978.1 KB · Views: 294
  • 0C47985A-4C29-48E6-B51D-53FB6B2D3838.jpeg
    0C47985A-4C29-48E6-B51D-53FB6B2D3838.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 292
  • 0F5C4FA5-12CB-420E-8327-BA288932308B.jpeg
    0F5C4FA5-12CB-420E-8327-BA288932308B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 268

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Engine code is 3970010.
Thats the cast number for the block for '69-'80 350 & (wishful thinking) '69 "DZ" 302. The pad on the passenger front in front of the head will have VIN & ID info stamped there. '69 blocks had a 2 letter ID, '70 up used a 3 letter code.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Suffix cmj. 74 police with th400 or 75 federal with th350/400 not sure what applications the latter is
Check the VIN on the pad to see what year.
VIN code format Example: 13N100001
(1 = Chevrolet, 3 = 1973, N = Norwood, 100001 = Production sequence of vehicle VIN)

I'd say both listings would be out of a B-body.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor