Engine built 15 years ago...Finally running!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calgary Rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Hi All,
New member to the forum from Canada (Calgary,Alberta), just wanted to share a couple pics of my 15 year project finally coming to life.
I built the engine sometime in 2005 right after my son was born and it stayed glued to the engine stand while I raised my boy.
Last Sept 2020 I had enough of staring at it and finally got my butt in gear and went to work.
It's pretty much exactly the Hod Rod Olds 455 build of 2003 except for the Professional products Crosswind intake (Edelbrock didn't sell an air gap at the time).
It fit in the 86 cutlass like it was made for it.
Rest of the package is as follows....
Trans....home rebuilt GM 2004r new TCI valve body, B and M 2800 RPM stall converter. Rear axle stock 7.5 10 bolt...LOL ready to blow... new auburn posi carrier, 4.10 richmond gears, hardened axles.
Exhaust - Hooker super comp engine swap headers, cheapo Jegs 2 1/2" gbody exhaust kit (true dual with new G-Force crossmember.
Cooling- 19X31" aluminum rad with Lincoln Mark 8 junkyard electric fan...car runs 175-180F no problems with overheating.
Took it for a quick spin around the block in Feb....WOW...hauls butt...ZERO traction but fun.
Already looking to build a Ford 8.8rear and get some traction into this thing.
Hope the car turns low 13 high 12 quarter mile times when track opens in May.. (we have a high altitude in these parts 3500-3700FT above sea level).
So far TONS of fun!!!

Attachments

• 455.jpg
    455.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 157
  • 86 cutlass.jpg
    86 cutlass.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 161
  • Winner
Reactions: 14 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wow, looks great!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Yeah,those 7.5's wont stand up to a whole lot of abuse for very long.
And there probably wouldnt be much difference,if any, between the crosswind and the air gap intake.AFAIK,Professional Products are copies of the Edelbrock intakes.
Sounds like a fun combo,enjoy !!!
And welcome aboard from Nova Scotia .
Guy

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. Cool project. That looks like a nice clean engine swap. Olds power is cool.

Reactions: 1 user

Calgary Rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Yeah,those 7.5's wont stand up to a whole lot of abuse for very long.
And there probably wouldnt be much difference,if any, between the crosswind and the air gap intake.AFAIK,Professional Products are copies of the Edelbrock intakes.
Sounds like a fun combo,enjoy !!!
And welcome aboard from Nova Scotia .
Guy
So far so good on the intake. Heard horror stories AFTER i purchased it about Professional Products...would have bought the Edelbrock if it was available at the time

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
(y) Nice & clean. Glad you got back on track. Most that sit that long, get sold and/or parted out.

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Welcome from a fellow Calgarian. The swap turned out great! I’m partial to big block Oldsmobile’s in Cutlasses tho.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Looks good, I bet your hood doesn't fit with that intake. One of the unfortunate side effects of a car not designed for the tall deck Olds V8. That intake doesn't have any fatal flaws that I have heard, it will work Ok. Yeah, I broke my 7.5" twice with a 8 to 1 403 with slicks at the track.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If Calgary Rocket is the founding member of a niche club, I’m the Vice President. This is seriously my story except the engines are sitting in the cars unstarted. Parts are easier to move across three addresses when they are attached (or piled into) the car. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor