Engine Diaper and spill pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I've thought about just using a larger stamped oil pan off something like a BBC, 7.3 diesel or 5.9 Cummins as a baseline to use as a catch pan but I've never got fast enough to worry about blowing the guts out the bottom....

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I've thought about just using a larger stamped oil pan off something like a BBC, 7.3 diesel or 5.9 Cummins as a baseline to use as a catch pan but I've never got fast enough to worry about blowing the guts out the bottom....
I'm not sure of how it will end up, but I will come up with something. I'm desperately seeking to be 8.50 legal and NOT be that guy that oils down the track regularly? As mentioned, I'm planning to scatter my junk at some point (hopefully later than sooner.) I would be obtuse or ignorant to think that it's never going to happen. I'll come back to this when I have something in place.

Reactions: 2 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I'm not sure of how it will end up, but I will come up with something. I'm desperately seeking to be 8.50 legal and NOT be that guy that oils down the track regularly? As mentioned, I'm planning to scatter my junk at some point (hopefully later than sooner.) I would be obtuse or ignorant to think that it's never going to happen. I'll come back to this when I have something in place.
Its not a question of if its a question of when. You try to freshen the engine before it gets there but sometimes parts break. I think my dad (who raced for 20 years himself EVERY weekend) summed it up best. He said where else can you spend every nickel you earn to try to break everything you have?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

Stumbled on this and I really like it.

Seems like a lot of oil downs are blown trans lines or broken bellhousings and aren't caught by the normal diapers. He said something that this mat is full of PIG mat.

XRkVzI1ux17u0_gLeSxJAl_sTZ76qfCgdr8aXCP9FBH2yHBj6Xtvsfpdz8uQ9p9qwdm7R4FMTq7jMROP3fQpDE3z7bTh7DKrTVzDRsH5xGy-6j02H0rFAy8yJKEYb2B7DHrABUzI7Jyu8RhdPrvXeB-lKLHLaCCmuqymFXwl07bL63-e-LG6UyqWjVWjs6DOgWUdA_eDURm_w05NyX3R6q1mMcCzl3J37ahlGw1DxGN2uWAFQYrvIRHPv1PpMbKHutMNlSfN5i4yShRj7ix_n6vyFbf0AEv7-hm0iQNEIH9RnOiYMjXh8LwiT1euvpFYqwI1JLpRgLWT8zB2wW17PDEKK9CjuTQkrpjWqekHyWbwCf7fHtbP3bTKmGD3e12VX_0OqYD5pbO6egIykEYOLQ74-BpyHE7Fivn-fyzccU8sghbiwqXuotAy4J5ZTrhHn1SK_A4bSB5iR9QMvqtMyTavzsyuGyd8jiW67DYyrBAoFPHReeOWdhQ56_khpbxltFWqHCwFA_qa4zV9RGl1Ric-xw2HHqsESFhw1bXLWdEAgbi1-8CuTI7oriLxjRxarjdcpHiOFPmjROZtJqAcAaj0JjkAvXEEWeiEV0osIkwmvnQq7cuMRbTHilVH7qGnC7faGh9OBIm1rWwc9xwRjTBsFbEy-y5r2ZOLjdHP0c6R0ud7tlqZ28VfjJrcg_7ErkGmmf7tLSVAqxRoHGevf-zYQA=s741-no

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yup, that's the idea, except mine will indicate a mileage to Omaha or Albuquerque if I can get it wheels up. ;)

• Haha

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Yup, that's the idea, except mine will indicate a mileage to Omaha or Albuquerque if I can get it wheels up. ;)
If you can get wheels that high the car needs a pair of balls painted on around the rear differential

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you can get wheels that high the car needs a pair of balls painted on around the rear differential
Neat picture, but the landing on that situation is deal breaker for sure. I was kidding, of course, about being able to read that on my car. Or I should say that I hope no one can ever read mine.

Kidding aside, that is the concept I'm looking to fabricate. I don't believe that I'll have it under the transmission, but maybe. Presently I'm running a blanket on the trans that has worked shockingly well (but not for track contamination). The engine diaper, on the other hand, is a giant PITA to get on, keep on and keep from melting on the headers.

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
Neat picture, but the landing on that situation is deal breaker for sure. I was kidding, of course, about being able to read that on my car. Or I should say that I hope no one can ever read mine.

Kidding aside, that is the concept I'm looking to fabricate. I don't believe that I'll have it under the transmission, but maybe. Presently I'm running a blanket on the trans that has worked shockingly well (but not for track contamination). The engine diaper, on the other hand, is a giant PITA to get on, keep on and keep from melting on the headers.
Any progress on the belly pan?
I have a blanket on my transmission but I need to make some sort of cage or standoff around the shift linkage so I can tighten the blanket down. Right now if I tighten the blanket down too tight it stops the shifter linkage from moving.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Any progress on the belly pan?
I have a blanket on my transmission but I need to make some sort of cage or standoff around the shift linkage so I can tighten the blanket down. Right now if I tighten the blanket down too tight it stops the shifter linkage from moving.
No. And that is unfortunately 'no'. I ran into a stumbling block of the factory steering components. A belly pan is supposed to run to the front of the block and the factory linkage is directly in the way. I considered a rack swap. This is probably going to have to wait until next year. I don't have the time presently. But I'm going to get it done. And I'm going to make the front crossmember removable at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor