Engine knock

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
An oil pressure reading would probably confirm a bottom end problem.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Ditto 83MONTESS - is it a knock, tick? The fax that you had a head gasket leak is not good news or how long it was going on for. Bearings don't like water - anti freeze even worse.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Carl75 said:
@pontiacgp has a new water pump on it.

new products can fail and that doesn't answer the question why a mechanic would suggest a thicker oil to cure a knock. If it still knocks with the thicker oil maybe he'll suggest the banana trick next

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
My bet is a bad rod bearing. New head gaskets on an engine with how many miles on it? seen more than one kill the bearings in a few weeks after a head gasket change. Also as someone said, might have been over revved trying to get it to run right, some "mechanics" like to see black smoke roll out the back or they dont think the soot is blown out. Looks like a good time to put in a 350 or 455.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I guess they're a dime a dozen today gone tomorrow... but who cares about a 307 lol. You guys that are objecting to him grenading the 307 aren't considering that you know how to fix these problems yourself but he doesn't so if he goes to the shop spending money on the 307 is a waste of $$$ easily.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
pencero said:
I guess they're a dime a dozen today gone tomorrow... but who cares about a 307 lol. You guys that are objecting to him grenading the 307 aren't considering that you know how to fix these problems yourself but he doesn't so if he goes to the shop spending money on the 307 is a waste of $$$ easily.

I'm sure according to alot of people we are all wasting our money on 30 year old cars. The nice thing about being an individual is that we all get to choose what we do with our money and none of us can say it's wrong unless he/she is neglecting their obligations. The mechanic who did the job should at least ask him to come back so he can try to diagnose the problem. It could be that the flexplate has cracked that can sound like a bad bearing. It does not make sense to tell someone to put in thicker oil to try to mask a knock and maybe it is no big issue to you but I don't want the op to be stuck one day or nite with a blown motor if it is an internal engine problem

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
gp I was trying to agree with you actually but it sounds like this 'mechanic' know about as much about the 307 as me and the OP and what he should really 'do' is pay every dollar the guy spent back but we know he's not going to do that? I guess having him take another gamble over the 307 for free can't hurt it any more than the terminal illness he already gave the engine by making some kind of mistake but what if he tries to charge the op more money instead of doing the right thing? I was looking at it more from a 'dont trust that shop anymore' pov than 'dont fix a 307' pov. I like my 307 and I looked into having it rebuilt but thats where I stopped short like woah hold on a minute this estimate is only a few hundred dollars short of what I could a much more powerful motor. If my 307 developed a rod knock I would just be looking at other motors automatically but it's not like I wouldn't see if any olds guys wanted it to put in their 98s / Riviera or w/e other car. I would say that it's hard to even GIVE away a 307 around here let alone sell one lol.

Carl75

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 21, 2014
Been a busy week and just getting back here. I will try to clear up some of what's been said. I bought the car in May from guy in West Virginia. Trailored it home and found the head gasket prob later. I haven't put many miles on it, reads 95,000. After I got the hg repaired I drove it for few weeks before taking it to my paint guy. In meantime my daily driver went down so I brought the Cutlass back home to get back n forth for few days. That's when I decided to have the guy put the throttle position sensor in knowing I needed it. I do a lot of my own work but not good with carbs so I let him do it. There was no knock(sounds kinda like tapping metal with your finger) best way I know to describe. I have hard time trusting mechanics anyway but today I went ahead with the band aide test and changed my oil w thicker oil. Still have noise. My oil pressure is running above 30 on acceleration but it drops low when I come to a stop or decelerate. Could bad oil pressure cause any problem like this? Would oil pump be of any issue? I have been toying with the idea of changing motors, but was trying to stay original as long as I could. But like you all have said I don't want to blow it up either. I appreciate you all sharing your knowledge and ideas with me as I'm just a person that enjoys working on my cars and do most by trial and error lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor