engine options for my Monte

what engine / trans should i use until the 2JZ swap?

• 3.8 V6

• 4.3 V6

• 305 V8

• 350 V8

• Big Block

• other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Literally anything that runs that you can get your hands on.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

DrFrankenstein

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2017
Upstate NY
since small and big block mounts are the same, throw a sbc in it and cruise.
I didn't know that, thank you.

The only problem with that is once he starts driving it he is not going to want to pull it out to put his dream engine in.
Highly unlikely. I view it as an unnecessary waste of gas, and big expense, which is not something I'm after with this project.

Literally anything that runs that you can get your hands on.
FTW!
Only time will tell,I reckon.
Thanks for the replies so far! If I can source a reliable flux capacitor,I might drop it in.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For a temporary drivetrain I would just look for a running SBC with all the accessories on it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

bishopTS

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2017
sbc, it will go in easy, you wont have to modify the fuel system, they are really cheap because everyone is going LS, you can buy parts for it at most all parts stores.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Out of stock, unfortunately.

Flux Capacitor.JPG

bishopTS

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2017
when you go to the 2jz, get a rear sump oil pan if you dont get one with it already on there. most all gs300 and is300 have front sump so you will need a rear sump from a supra or a sc300. it will allow you to mount the engine lower in the engine bay without hitting the steering linkage. the sc300 or the non turbo supra oil pan will have the location for the turbo oil return but it wont be drilled out.

• Winner

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
What is your budget, and do you have emissions inspections? Perhaps throw together a cheap 350 for the time being:

Find a complete running 305 Chevy, preferably '87-up. Get a 350 block, '87-up. Crank, rods, timing cover, oil pan, balancer, flexplate, starter, distributor, valve covers, accessory brackets, exhaust manifolds will all swap directly. The block could come from Summit; they sell fully-prepped blueprinted .030-over 4-bolt main blocks for about $800 shipped. Have a shop swap 350 pistons, linke these: http://www.jegs.com/i/Sealed-Power/844/8KH345DCP30/10002/-1. Add a pair of Vortec heads, http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12558060/10002/-1, and matching intake manifold plus GM cam http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/14097395/10002/-1. You'll need a a rebuild gasket kit for a 1996 Chevy pickup 350. This formula offers a basic, good performer you can resell later. Or you can just buy the whole motor: http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12530283/10002/-1. $1500 - $2500 depending upon your luck and ability to do it yourself.

• Agree

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
If you insist on getting it running with some temporary drivetrain. I suggest ease of install and resale value are of importance here. No since hacking your engine bay or harness just to hack
It again. And no sense getting something you won't be able to sell right. So I say a small block Chevy. Anyone you can find locally cheap that runs and had all the accessories. Don't mod anything just drop it in and drive it.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since you obviously don't need this car for transportation why not just start prepping it for the new drivetrain rather than spending any money on another engine that will need a functioning trans and exhaust system etc. that will all be just temporary anyways.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

DrFrankenstein

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2017
Upstate NY
when you go to the 2jz, get a rear sump oil pan if you dont get one with it already on there. most all gs300 and is300 have front sump so you will need a rear sump from a supra or a sc300. it will allow you to mount the engine lower in the engine bay without hitting the steering linkage. the sc300 or the non turbo supra oil pan will have the location for the turbo oil return but it wont be drilled out.
That is some priceless info right there, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor