Engine reving high at start up then stalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2016
Brampton ON
Hey all, I have used some of the threads on here to fix some bugs in my 83 GP so thanks. New problem I'm having is my 305 with a stock quadrajet 4 barrel carb is driving to around 4500 rpm at start up but then diesshortly after. I can pump the gas and keep it from stalling but it bogs and stalls. It was starting and running well but recently started stalling. Any thoughts?

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
Just guessing? u have either a massive vacuum leak,(big hose like pwr brks) or, its flooding the engine with gas. To determine flooding, remove air cleaner, lookin down into carb while someone trys to start it, if u see gas dripping fast, flooding.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
try this, take the fuel line off the carb, plug the fuel line and start the car and let it run till the carb runs out of gas. It could be the needle is being prevented fom seating properly and the fuel bowl is flooding the carb. Letting the carb run out of fuel will usually dislodge the obstruction and allowing the needle to seat properly

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Start with the basics - hookup a vacuum gauge and start it up. And what preceded this? Has it been running poorly and then this developed, or did this develop out the clear blue sky, i.e. - 'ran properly yesterday and began this today'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor