Engine running, transmission not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender21

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Swapped in the 350 for the 305 in my Grand Prix, used the torque converter from the 350 (that was originally hooked to a TH400), and hooked them to the still working TH250c.. I got the 350 going and it sounds amazing.. use the new ratchet shifter to ratchet it out of park and.... nothing. Show a quart low and add some more ATF, run it through all the gears and... nothing. Could the converter be incompatible with the transmission for some reason? I am in MI and it is blasted cold here now, so don't really feel like switching out the converter or transmission... Do I need the electrical connections for the transmission hooked up? I didn't think they were necessary, except for the OD .. ?

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I'm not 100% sure on whether the converter from a TH400 will work on a metric trans. Anyone care to chime in on that? Did you have two sets of bolt holes on your flexplate?

As for the electrical connection, that's only for lock-up function. I don't recall if your trans had lockup or not.

The only other explanation is that you're still too low on fluid. Did you drain the torque converter before you installed it?

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
I dont think the converter will work with a 250. As for the wires that is only for lockup converter which your 250 should be the 400 is not a lockup transmission . Or if someone on here knows bettter maybe it does work in that case its possible that you did not have your converter all the way ingaged and as soon as you started car you destroyed the pump drive ears. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

Bender21

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Everything hooked up smoothly.. didn't notice any differences.
I did not drain the converter... I know I lost a lot of fluid when I pulled everything. I did not take it off the engine I installed. I pulled the TH400 off, then hooked it up to the current transmission. I have added either 5-6 qts. of ATF Dexron III, and it shows just below full on the stick...

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Bender21 said:
Everything hooked up smoothly.. didn't notice any differences.
I did not drain the converter... I know I lost a lot of fluid when I pulled everything. I did not take it off the engine I installed. I pulled the TH400 off, then hooked it up to the current transmission. I have added either 5-6 qts. of ATF Dexron III, and it shows just below full on the stick...
Well you would have to remove it from motor to know if it truely was in transmission correct or to even know if the converter actually fit the input shaft.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Bender21 said:
I did not take it off the engine I installed
So you pretty much just slid the trans onto the converter? That might be the problem right there if it didn't seat inside the pump all of the way. Like chevy2480 said, you might have killed your pump.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
from what I have read about transmissions...the converter from a 400 will work in a 350 and the 700 4r will work in the 200 r4 and 4L60

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
As mentoined, if you didn't pull the convertor off the motor and installed it on the trannny first, then it may not be seated all the way. You could try unbolting from the flexplate and spin it while pushing it towards the transmission, then bolt it back up and see what you got.
I'm pretty sure the convertor will work with the transmission also.
Is there any chance the ratchet shifter isn't working right, or adjusted properly(they can be a pain)? No binding in the cable? When you take it out of park will the car at least roll if you push it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor