Engine runs like crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

harald

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
Got a HEI upgrade kit from Summit, Summit brand. Coil already gave up after starting motor a couple of times. No spark.Replaced old coil. Engine runs like crap,like its not firing on all cylinders.Can the new module be crap too,or would it not run at all if it has something wrong with it.
Harald

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
did you change the weights and springs? is it an adjustable vac advance? are you sure the wires are routed correctly and plugged in all the way? are your wires and plugs clean and in good shape? (sometimes the extra power of the new coil will jump through the wire to ground even if it didn't happen before) did you check the vac line to the dist for cracks or leaks? do you have full power and ground? is the timing correct?

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
you could possibly have your timing 180 degrees out, bring it up on #1 and see where the rotor is pointing.

harald

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
I changed the weights and springs,and the vacuum advance unit on which I don't see where to adjust it. I will check out the other stuff tonight .
Thanks

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
for the vacuum advance unit, i had a crane, and it was adjusted with an allen key inside the port where the hose goes on.
let me know how you make out

harald

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
Distributor was out 180 degrees,how did that happen.Anyways I straightened that out,tried to start it and no spark again.So maybe there is nothing wrong with the summit coil.I put the old module back in, checked that there is power to the distr. and fidled with the connectors for a bit,still no spark. This thing is starting to anoy me.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Is it a full 12 volts to the distributor? If hei does not have that it will not work.

robnoxiousauto

Apprentice
Jun 28, 2008
Victoria B.C. Canada
how does the pick up look ? more often then not the pick up is the problem when these dist. have no spark if you have a lab scope I can walk you through how to test it if not then do a visual inspection

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
dan2286 said:
Is it a full 12 volts to the distributor? If hei does not have that it will not work.
and don't forget the ground, it's just as important to have a GOOD ground.
is this a coil-in-cap HEI? either way, carefully check ALL connections for discoloration and proper plug in. does the rotor have a hold down screw?

harald

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
Well ,I got it running . All that was wrong was the plugs. Never knew that that many plugs could go bad at the same time.All those hours of work and all it was was $20 worth of plugs.Sometimes I am such an idiot. Note to self, change the plugs first. Good news is the transmission that I just rebuild myself seems to work good. Thanks for all the help and advice.
Harald

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor