Engine suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
look around for a recent rebuild and start with that....I found a complete 355 serpentine set up in a Suburban that had less than 15k on the engine for $900....found some vortec heads for $300....found a rpm air gap vortec intake with tall cast aluminum valve covers for another $200... replaced the spring in the oil pump. $8..new double roller timing chain $45 and I had the quad carb modified by a friend who is well known for his carbs....$50....gaskets another $80....

To keep the cost down I'm running it with the cam that was in there and I might switch it out but the car moves along pretty good with Hedman full length headers..2.5" SS duels and a T5 WC with a 10.5 clutch....

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
High Roller said:
Save your money on getting the gear drive, instead put money towards a good Cloyes dbl roller timing chain. Typical issues with gear drives include...

Bent or broken camshaft. Bend will occur between the 1st and 2nd journal.
#1 Cam bearing excessively worn on the top (12 o'clock) position.
Siezed #1 cam bearing. All others will be fine.
Excessively worn #1 cam journal. All others will be fine.
Excessively worn #1 main bearing. All others will be fine.
Bent or broken crankshaft snout.

Hmmm... I had a Pete Jackson geardrive in a 350 Chevy daily driver for over 10 years and had nary a single problem. I know several guys (myself being one of them) on the thirdgen.org board that's even running them in TPI motors with the knock sensors and not a single problem. No timing problems, nothing.

I've heard all kinds of gear drive horror stories but never seen a proven gear drive problem. Not saying it's never happened but I've seen a lot of unrelated problems blamed on one. No flame or arguement meant, I'm just relating my experience with them.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I have seen both good and bad with gear drives. I have seen them run for 10+ years without a problem. And I have seen an engine that had one for one season ripped apart that had severe damage from them. But from what I have read and seen, it seems that it's the high HP (450+) that seem to have problems. The stock and mild engines seem to be just fine. And since I'm not going for huge power, I should be safe. Plus, I have always wanted one lol.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Well i'm around 500hp and been running mine on the same cam in three different blocks for 10-11years. No problems. Not saying I would worry about buying one but combine it with a two-piece timing cover and cam swaps and cam timing adjustments become alot easier.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
for my money find a motor out of a truck or van mid-ninties. Swap intakes to run a carb and get an inline electric fuel pump and call it a day. If you are rebuilding another motor anyways why do a bunch of work to this one ? Look at Doobers setup for example, that's what I was going to do until I stumbled accross my engine.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, a stock 350 can have anywhere from 7.8:1 compression (Target Master aka Goodwrench 350, which is basically a RPO LM1 350 from the mid 70's) to 11:1 (1970 LT-1). Since compression affects so much in terms of parts choice, it is not possible to give you a cam recommendation based on "whatever a stock 350 has". Remember that the 350 was first produced in 1967 and was phased out in 1999.

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
85 Cutlass Brougham is right, you need to know what 350 you have (or will have), and choose parts that will work with it.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
axisg said:
for my money find a motor out of a truck or van mid-ninties. Swap intakes to run a carb and get an inline electric fuel pump and call it a day. If you are rebuilding another motor anyways why do a bunch of work to this one ? Look at Doobers setup for example, that's what I was going to do until I stumbled accross my engine.

I have actually been thinking about that. If I can find a decent one I would like to.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Phoenyx said:
axisg said:

I have actually been thinking about that. If I can find a decent one I would like to.

you might not need an electric fuel pump if you don't want to go that route.....most 350's in the mid 90's still have the lobe on the cam and a cover on the block where the mech fuel pump is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor