Engineering Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Conditions:
A digger weighing 22 tons is on top of a trailer and heading east on the Trans-Canada Highway near High River, Alberta. The extended shovel arm is made of hardened refined steel and the approaching overpass is made of commercial-grade concrete, reinforced with 1 inch steel rebar spaced at 6 inch intervals in a criss-cross pattern layered at 1 foot vertical spacing.

Solve:
When the shovel arm hits the overpass, how fast do you have to be going to slice the bridge in half? (Assume no effect for headwind and no braking by the driver.)

Attachments

• image0011.jpg
    image0011.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 593
  • image0022.jpg
    image0022.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 598
  • image0033.jpg
    image0033.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 589

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
umm.. :shock:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the driver was supposedly on his cell phone...but it is a great add for Hyundai

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
pontiacgp said:
the driver was supposedly on his cell phone...but it is a great add for Hyundai

"Hyundai.
Tougher than you'd think."

:lol:

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Could you imagine being the guy driving on the bridge? Where in the hell did that excavator come from haha

Dugan

Greasemonkey
Jun 15, 2011
That is nuts. I use to do concrete and I know how strong those bridges are that guy must have been flying

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
not an engineer... but as a Mechanical Technologist, I am qualified in many of the fundamentals of the engineering.

... there are many ways to aproach the above problem, intelligently exploring the dynamics involved in the above structural and mechanical failure...

however, I fear there was very little intelligence involved in the accident.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
it looks as if the arm was infront of the machins cab and the the "elbo went in at an angle and kinda twisted as it entered the bridge and the got ripped back punktureing the bridge kinda like the pointy end of one of them bottle openers. ill draw a pic!
l.jpg

so what had happend was, the truck driver ether ignored the height of the bridge sign or didnt know how high his load was and just said eff it.

if ya look at the bottom pic from the OP you can see that the top of the crane "elbow" hit there and then it was forced under and kinda like "can opener-ed" its way through the bridge.so its not like it cut the bridge like a knife, it hit at an optimal angle to "perce" the bridge kinda like the pointy end church key does to a can:
thumbnail.aspx

this is how bored i am at work.... :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor