Engines, and the choices we all make...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvngded

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2009
Chicago
Okay,

I'm piecing together a shopping list of sorts while I wait to pick a car.

I'm saving up for a 2+2, and have begun to think aout engine choices.
I know the stocker is a 305, which I have n=been lead to belive is anything but a performance minded engine. I want to stay with a Pontiac engine, I'm kinda goofy that way. Pontiac car = Pontiac engine.

So I have been reading alot about engines, it seems to me that aside from a 400, my best option is a Pontiac 350. Anyone have any numbers or better info on the cars it was offered in? I found one in Ohio for $600 in the car and running. Good price?

Let the debate begin......

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
lvngded said:
Okay,

I'm piecing together a shopping list of sorts while I wait to pick a car.

I'm saving up for a 2+2, and have begun to think aout engine choices.
I know the stocker is a 305, which I have n=been lead to belive is anything but a performance minded engine. I want to stay with a Pontiac engine, I'm kinda goofy that way. Pontiac car = Pontiac engine.

So I have been reading alot about engines, it seems to me that aside from a 400, my best option is a Pontiac 350. Anyone have any numbers or better info on the cars it was offered in? I found one in Ohio for $600 in the car and running. Good price?

Let the debate begin......

While I agree with a Pontiac engine in a Pontiac car, the reality is that someday the 2+2 will become a collectible. Fortunately, you can do this swap as a total bolt-in. Just keep all the original parts so you aren't kicking yourself 20 years from now.

229MonteHO

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2008
Liverpool, NY
I like to subscribe to the Olds in an Olds, Poncho in a Poncho, Chevy in a Chevy universe. But my emotions become mixed when it comes to anything newer than the mid-70's. I'd never swap a Chev 350 into a '71 Skylark or a mid-70's T/A, but in the case of a 2+2 I'd say it's fair game for either a Chev or Poncho mill. I do agree with Joe though, if you're gonna do the Pontiac swap, hold onto the original bits so it can go back to original.

Aaron

lvngded

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2009
Chicago
No worries guys, i have 2 engine stands.
The original engine will be rebuilt and stored. As will the original body panels. I'm looking into replacement hoods so I can put dual scoops in the after market one. I want to reduce weight as well as keeping them rust free, while I drive the beast around.

I'm just trying to figure out what engine will bolt up to the existing mounts & trans. As well as not grenading the drive train from the extra power.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
lvngded said:
No worries guys, i have 2 engine stands.
The original engine will be rebuilt and stored. As will the original body panels. I'm looking into replacement hoods so I can put dual scoops in the after market one. I want to reduce weight as well as keeping them rust free, while I drive the beast around.

I'm just trying to figure out what engine will bolt up to the existing mounts & trans. As well as not grenading the drive train from the extra power.

mounts are cheap enough to replace and to move if you have the correct mount to the correct holes for the application

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
The neat thing about chevy small blocks is that they don't share anything in common with other GM V8 engines, except maybe the distributor cap.

If you go Pontiac V8 (which is a good choice) you will need to use a 2004R trans or an adapter plate for the 700R4 chevy trans. The motor mounts are also different.

You need the frame brackets and motor mounts from a 1978-1982 G or A car that had the 265 or 301 Pontiac V8 originally. Those metal brackets that bolt to the engine and lay on the rubber mounts on the frame will be the hardest to come by, but they are not impossible to get.

You may already have a 2004R trans when you get the car. Some came with this trans and some came with 700R4 chevy only trans. The 2004R used in the GP and Monte Carlo had a universel GM bellhousing pattern that will bolt right up to the Pontiac V8.

Then you need to buy your hoses for the same year car you get the motor mount brackets from. It would also be best to get all the accessories from the Pontiac V8 of a G car, but not necessary since pretty much any setup will fit.

Any Pontiac 350/400/428/455 from 69 and newer will bolt to the motor mounts from the 301 so it will go in easy. All of these engines respond to the same mods for HP increases, and of course you get more increase from the larger engine you start with. They are all the same size externally so they all fit exactly the same. For a mild performance leaning toward a stocker, some high compression pistons and 6x or 4x heads from the 70's will do fine in any Pontiac V8.

Good luck on finding your parts.

lvngded

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2009
Chicago
Thanks Kris, That's exactly the info I was looking for.

The car I am looking at has the 2004r trans, but the 2+2 came with the Chevy 305, not a 301. Will I still be in good shape for the mounts?
And if not, does the frame have the mounting points for the new mounts or will I need to drill. If there is anything but bolting involved, I'll have to re-think it as I am only willing to bolt and paint the car. She will most likely get a paint scheme like an 82 GN, using the original paint combo with PONTIAC shadowed lettering across the rear quarters, and the red / orange stripes running the borders.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
lvngded said:
Thanks Kris, That's exactly the info I was looking for.

The car I am looking at has the 2004r trans, but the 2+2 came with the Chevy 305, not a 301. Will I still be in good shape for the mounts?
And if not, does the frame have the mounting points for the new mounts or will I need to drill. If there is anything but bolting involved, I'll have to re-think it as I am only willing to bolt and paint the car. She will most likely get a paint scheme like an 82 GN, using the original paint combo with PONTIAC shadowed lettering across the rear quarters, and the red / orange stripes running the borders.

You will need to change the mounts. Get them from a 301 powered G body, make sure you get the part that bolts on the frame and the part that bolts to the engine block. The holes will all ready be there. I have no idea if there will be differences as far as what side the starter is on, what side the battery is on, etc.

lvngded

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2009
Chicago
okay, so the frame and motor mounts from a 301 a / b body, it already has the right trans, and then the brackets huh? This seems like a doable project in a weekend provided the starter lines up. The body is a whole different matter. I wonder what the odds are of my daughter getting a scholarship? :)

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
lvngded said:
okay, so the frame and motor mounts from a 301 a / b body, it already has the right trans, and then the brackets huh? This seems like a doable project in a weekend provided the starter lines up. The body is a whole different matter. I wonder what the odds are of my daughter getting a scholarship? :)

The mounts have to come from a 78-88 G/A body car. Im sorry, I forgot about the trans. Does your car have a 200-R4? If so, it will work with the Pontiac engine.

I am sure there is plenty of stuff I missed, because I have never done this swap. Someone who knows Pontiac engines will chime in and tell you the rest of the stuff you need. Im sure this could be done in a weekend as long as you have all of the parts needed. That is why you need to wait for someone who has done this to tell you what you will need to get, and what needs to be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor