Escape From the Prison Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Fork seals.

Once I had that back together I did some GMC prep work. Replaced the transfer case front seal, flushed the cooler lines, installed all the brackets etc on the transmission, layed all the hardware out, and put some ATF in the torque converter. I need to make a wrecking yard run first thing in the morning, then it's time to stab it in there.

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
GMC transmission is in and working fine. I started the day at the UPull yard. The starter drive spring was broken and allowing it to slide back into the ring gear, making a random tink noise. I also managed to crack the knock sensor connector while I was taking it apart last weekend too so I grabbed one of those. One of the Suburbans out there had a brand new serp belt and I snagged it to replace the super cracked one on the GMC.
When I got back home we stuffed the transmission in as well as the transfer case. Since they were getting new fluid, we checked the diffs and they looked good. My dad greased everything and we checked the ball joints before getting it all the way back on the ground. The lowers have just a little movement and the rest of the frontend looks solid. My dad took it around the 3 mile block and said it shifted nice and firm.
The last thing we played with was the front brakes. After you drive for a while they start to drag. Cursory diag point to defective ABS unit.

No pics because I was too busy working.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I did a three day ride with my dad and his gang of New Balance outlaws last week.

Made a big loop through Idaho, Montana, Washington and Oregon. Saw a lot of beautiful country but one state seemed a little less restrictive than the others for some reason.

Finally got a little busy with work but managed to go for a trail ride up north on Wednesday. Met a couple guys up in Garden Valley and did a 110 mile excursion. We rode though Placerville and up to Pirate peak. We made a couple scenic stops and saw a couple mines. Even a random cemetery in the middle of the forrest, then back to base.

Also, I fell down.

Today I went over and puttered on the GMC pickup some more. My dad picked up a used ABS unit and I snagged anew master cylinder because I was doing a Rockauto order anyway. Did an oil change, transmission service, and replaced a cam chain tensioner on my work car too. No pics because GMC and Vibe.

Reactions: 8 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
You have quite the life you know it? Too bad I never seen that part of the world 20 years ago, because I would be Living there now.

Reactions: 5 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
They actually aren't too bad. I was the odd man out but they still accepted me. It was my dad, the father of a childhood friend, my brother's ex father-in-law, and another guy who was on his way home from Indiana. On average, they ride harder than I do. Two dropped out on the last day to go home.

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The picture of the Anatone sign actually has some significance. About 15 years ago when I decided to flee Oregon that was my theorerical and ceremonial destination. At the time, every single piece of real estate as you drove through town was for sale -- cheap. I probably could have sold my house and bought the whole town and run it like Boss Hogg. Sadly, it's trapped inside of the confines of Washington.

Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Also, I fell down
2020-08-15 09.59.49.jpg

More pics from that! I knew you hated the left coast but, this could be entertaining. Many gbodies involved? Boom booms make boo boos?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Replaced the turn signal switch and cleaned up some unused wiring under the dash and hood. Pressure washed the underside and washed it. It's been years since it last saw some soap and water.

I gave the interior a quick wipedown as well as rinsed the dust off the engine bay. It's all good enough for now. I guess we'll put some miles on it to see if any other mechanical issues pop up, then order up some new tires. We were talking about maybe taking a trip to the Upull yard for a better rear bumper and some little misc interior bits.

The Smell Camino has had an intermittent miss for probably a year now that has gotten pretty constant. Months ago I gave it a preliminary check and had it narrowed down to the Pertronix kit. Since I only drive it about once a month it's kind of outta sight, outta mind. So today I finally dug into it. I dug through a pile of storage boxes at my dad's shop and finally located my stash of spare distributor parts, which included some Pertronix take-outs. Once I pulled the distributor it was pretty obvious.

The clear covering had delaminated and the magnets were coming loose.

In my pile-o-spares was another magnet wheel so I swapped it in and verified the air gap.

The engine was filthy and it was almost 90* in the shop. Luckily, my dad reminded me of the swap cooler in the corner. That helped a bunch.

When I got it all back together it fired right up and ran smooth as ever. Finished the job by cleaning up the engine bay a little. Not a full detail but much better.

Reactions: 10 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor