Escape From the Prison Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It'll probably all be gone by early afternoon. Highs are going back to the upper 30s and into the 40s for the next week. It was just a nice little pre-holiday treat. Last year at this time there was probably a foot on the ground that stuck around for weeks. But that's pretty unusual. It typically stays pretty cold but dry around here. I'll take that over Portland's 6 months of cold rain any day.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
and here I thought the scenery couldn't get better!

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Thanks, guys. I always appreciate the comments and input (including suggestions). This is new territory for me and I'm pretty excited and I'm learning a lot. I have big plans but, honestly, the last 6 months really felt like I was treading water but this forward progress has really improved my outlook. I've been trying to update once a week or so. Hopefully I'm not just wasting site space but I promise it's moving toward the eventual goal of a new work space so I can actually work on some projects again...including my Cutlass.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I call this post 'retirement planning'. I am enjoying your freedom, so keep going on the updates on your dream land.

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
More minor excavation. More forms. More concrete. More backfill.

I forgot to take any photos after the guy got done with backfilling and contouring. We got a dusting of snow last night so everything just looks white.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
One more thing. I can't remember if I mentioned earlier or not, my builder is building the same house (minus the basement) for himself right now and the framers are almost done on his. We went over and walked through it on Thursday. Parts of it are exactly how I pictured it and other parts seemed way different than it looks on paper. One thing is really obvious now. It's gonna look gigantic from below.

Yet one more thing I forgot to mention. As we finished up with the pour on friday and the pump truck left, an old Chevy 4x4 came over the hill and parked on the other side of the fence. The guy got out and introduced himself as the neighbor to the north and we chatted for a bit. He doesn't live righht there but occasionally runs some cattle in that pasture. Come to find out, lots of locals are under the impression that I'm building a winery.:D
I had to let him down easy but he was really glad that at least I wasn't from California.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I get that impression. Oddly, the Cali transplants I've met on this side of the river are pretty cool. More like political refugees than lefty do-gooders. They mainly want this area to stay exactly the way it is and to be left alone. I can completely relate.
By all account the Boise Californians are totally different breed. Oregonian and Washington interlopers too. Hold the line and don't let them get involved in politics. And don't be polite about it either. They ruined the coastal states and they'll ruin Idaho too if we allow it.
Sorry for the rant. I just really want Idaho to remain a free state. I realize that I don't have much input, being an outsider. I do have experience though.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I was gone all day yesterday so it was dark when I got home but they were working. Got up there just after daybreak to get a couple pictures of progress.
Footing prep around the garage and under the front of the house is done.

Plumbing prep, septic pass-thru, fill and compaction are mostly done, as is patio base.

Still need to dig out the inside perimeter of the basement footing to add rebar for the thickened edge. Hoping to get the concrete guys back out next week.

Grumpy wife is getting impatient.
IMG_8661.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor