It is pretty big. 2508' on the main level. 1981' for the unfinished basement. Total is 4489'. Our old house was 1600' and the single-wide I'm in now is 1200' so it's going to be a real change. Plus, it's a pretty open plan so I think it will actually feel even bigger.
It really is kind of ridiculous, and I've been taking a lot of shit from my dad about it, but I have some justification...
1. When I'm done, I'll actually owe quite a bit less than I did on the house I sold but have more equity.
2. It's obviously a long term investment. I'd like to think that this will be a much more desirable area in the next couple decades, given it's proximity to all the winerys.
3. The basement isn't going to be finished so it's a flexible option for future owners.
4. Since we're in the midpoint between geographic pockets of family and friends, this will serve as a sort of stage stop. We'll probably need the extra space for guests.
5. At some point my parents may become snowbirds. The basement would be an option to build out a separate apartment for them.
6. More in now should pay off bigger in 20 years when I'm too old to keep the place up and I'm ready to downsize.
7. I just like nice stuff (even though I really don't have much of it). I've worked hard and planned for decades to end up here so it'll feel good to achieve this one major life goal.
8. I'm an idiot.
As a side note, the house we were originally hoping to build had a basement and large unfinished area above the garage. It could have been finished out to over 7000'. The budget wasn't there. Plus, that would have been super-ridiculous.
Sweet! That's a good sized house! You could fit 3 of the house we are temporarily in which is right at 1,400sq ft.
I like the "down the road" idea, and that you've been planning for it for along time. The wife and I are in the process of preparing for our next garage purchase (one that comes with a house lol) so that I can have my man space for a change! Our budget should get us close to 2,000sq ft which should be plenty.
My boss on the other hand moved into a gated community a couple years back. Bought a 6,800sq ft house on 5 acres, and her and her husband wrote a check for the damn thing!!!!! It's massive, but they instantly moved in with 100% equity. Sidenote....where's my raise lol!
Well, if you've been following along since the beginning you know I had to sacrifice 2 nice shops to make this happen. Hopefully this new job pays off and I'll be able to add a shop to the place eventually. At this point it'll be nice to be able to park in a garage again.
Congrats on your upcoming change of scenery. Hope it doesn't take too long to find your perfect place.