Status
Not open for further replies.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
FutureSeal said:
stomis said:
Well figure a 455 in its shittiest form was rated around 250hp and 400ft/lbs give or take. With those crappy 3.08s and drivetrain loss your probably putting down 200hp and 350 ft/lbs on a good day. I'd say you'll break 13s but just barely. Put some 3.73s and a good converter in it and I'd say you'd be way better.

The 455 in it's "worst" form was in 76, where I believe it was rated at 205hp and 345ft/lbs, also, I'm sticking with the 3.08s, because it's a driver first, and a racer 2nd lol

I'm not saying your 455 is in its worst form. Was just using for conservative numbers.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
does it have a 2barrel or 4barrel carb?

Turbo Loyd

n00b
Sep 19, 2010
Brookfield, IL
In reality the post 1971 cars were rated at Net versus Gross Horsepower.

The Net Horsepower as the engine in your car is burdened with various engine-driven accessories, ranging from the engine's own oil and water pumps and generator/alternator to the power steering pump and air conditioning compressor, each of which consumes a certain amount of power. An engine in a passenger car also has mufflers and an exhaust system , rather than low back pressure of a huge dyno muffler, ignition is retarded to prevent detonation with pump gasoline, and the carburetor or fuel injection system are aimed at fuel economy and driveability, not maximum power. The gross rating reflects none of these losses; it represents an engine's theoretical maximum output under ideal conditions, not how much power it actually produces when installed in a car.

While the smogger engines did suffer from significantly less compression ratios they did have an 800 cfm carb over a 750 carb to make up some of the difference.

The engine in a Regal should produce a respectable quarter mile time depending upon how sticky are the tires and if there is posi-traction that is working correctly.

Paragraph explaining difference from: http://ateupwithmotor.com

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
This post has been here a while.............You got any times yet?????

FutureSeal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2009
JBreu said:
This post has been here a while.............You got any times yet?????

Not yet lol...I bought the car like...23 days ago, and I still don't even have it...I'm flying out tomorrow to get it, because for some reason no one could get a truck out there to ship it

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Keep us posted.I am curious as much as the other posters!!!! :D

FutureSeal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2009
JBreu said:
Keep us posted.I am curious as much as the other posters!!!! :D

Well I got the car back, which was 1000 miles, and it ran out pretty good, and got between 17.5 and 19.3 miles per gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor