Everyone is going LS, is it the best option if you are already set up for a SBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Each to their own, but You are almost there with what you have. To me just seems stupid to sell off what you have just to start over and be able to have an LS so your in the "club".

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I am not sure how big the "LS craze" really is or if everybody is doing it. Been to 9 car shows this year and only saw one LS retrofited car which was a 50s Bel-Air. Hardly everybody, and this is NJ which is a highly densely populated area with plenty of money for LS swapping but still not much interest in it.

I agree with CW, you already have alot invested and nearly ready to go with your Ramjet, it just would be silly to jump ship to a completely different setup and take a loss on a new SBC.

Last edited:

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
I'm hoping mine will be done in the next month or so if money goes right for me. Single turbo 5.3 800hp monster street an strip car. Got more in it then I thought it would but he'll it's only money, can't take it with you when you gone lol

Reactions: 1 user

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I'm in a nearly identical situation. I have the Vortec headed GMPP 350 with 4 bolt mains. I run TBI currently and I plan to upgrade to the Ramjet. I ask myself all the time, "why didn't I just do an LS". Then I remember, I don't plan to drag race competitively and I didn't want to invest massive amounts of money in a car that can never be recouped. I'm very happy with my motor. You have to ask yourself, are you unhappy with it? Is It failing in some way shape or form?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

1970camaroRS

Apprentice
Jul 17, 2014
Yes, it's been beat to death...but there are really only TWO things about the LS platform that really stands head and shoulders above the SBC besides the ability to use factory parts to run the EFI. The two big improvements the LS has over the SBC is: 1, the cylinder head design. Stock LS cathedral port heads out-flow most aftermarket ported SBC heads. Stock square port heads out nearly all off-the-shelf CNC ported SBC heads. Now, port those heads and you've got something that performs at the same level, or above, as all-out top-of-the-line SBC heads. 2, the valvetrain design. The geometry is so much better being in-line without stability killing angles. And large diameter lifters. Stock pedastal mount rockers. Valvetrain stability and the ability to run a rather large cam without driveability issues is the other piece of the LS puzzle. These two items, along with the EFI system, are why LS engines can make so much power and still be driveable.

Build a 600+ HP SBC then go build a 600+ HP LS and put them into cars. They will likely run the same number. But, you're not going to want to drive the SBC car very far, even if it's equipped with EFI. Now, this is all assuming a naturally aspirated motor. Adding a supercharger or a turbo and you're going to find the differences much milder.

That ramjet is crippled by the head design and will never make nearly as much power as an LS. However, how much do you want/need/desire to have fun?

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
I know my LS will be boat loads better then my wore out 350 rocket with 2 bolt windowed mains lol. Even in stock form itll please me, but i plan on racing.

1970camaroRS

Apprentice
Jul 17, 2014
am I crazy for not wanting 600hp?

No, it adds a lot of headaches like needing a stronger transmission, stronger rear end, stronger driveshaft, better tires, upgraded suspension, etc. Oh, and you can only go WOT for a second or two before everyone looks at you sideways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor