Everyone is going LS, is it the best option if you are already set up for a SBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i don't think that there is any doubt here that the LS engine can make more power and is a better engine all around. the question is that if you are setup for a SBC and i will add don't need/want more than 400hp does it make sense to LS? cost is absolutely involved here

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
The cost and use would be the main focus. If its just a daily driver with a bit of extra power ,the money for the LS wouldn't make much sense to me. The 350 would be cheaper to build, tune and install. Like regalman4925 said the LS is a better motor no doubt but in the end it depends on what you like.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
One thing to remember if you are using a vortec 880 roller motor just a cam change will get you close to 400HP and 400TQ with only a cam change and a upgrade in valve springs.

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
One thing to remember if you are using a vortec 880 roller motor just a cam change will get you close to 400HP and 400TQ with only a cam change and a upgrade in valve springs.

Did you get that spread sheet I set you ??

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Yes I did BUT I can't get it to open for me. I am not very good on a computer. Could you send me the same only with the 3.70 gears in stead of the 4.33. Thanks

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I bought a brand new crate 383 crate motor with about 420hp 450tq and I'm in $4k on the engine alone. I always think about what would have been if I had an LS motor...but I don't see myself getting a brand new LS with those numbers, with brand new accessories, not to mention the other miscellaneous items. What I've learned, and I'm still learning everyday, is that in my case, the transmission, suspension, brakes, and rear end are more important...and should be done first. My plan is to own a g-body Grand National, Monte SS, and a Olds 442. In the Olds, I'm going for a big block swap that has already been done.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I bought a brand new crate 383 crate motor with about 420hp 450tq and I'm in $4k on the engine alone. I always think about what would have been if I had an LS motor...but I don't see myself getting a brand new LS with those numbers, with brand new accessories, not to mention the other miscellaneous items. What I've learned, and I'm still learning everyday, is that in my case, the transmission, suspension, brakes, and rear end are more important...and should be done first. My plan is to own a g-body Grand National, Monte SS, and a Olds 442. In the Olds, I'm going for a big block swap that has already been done.

This

Crzyrdnk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2015
Red Deer, Alberta Canada
buy an lm7 truck engine for 500-800 bucks...swap into car use Transdapt 1 inch set back motor mounts truck pcm and have it reflashed, add cam ($400) Springs($300) Headers($250) maybe a throttle body Boom you have a 450 hp LS motor..(Basic Recipe for low budget power you will need other small things)
look up countless articles over on ls1tech.com or several articles on hot rod magazine the power you can get from basically a stock bottom end LS motor will Blow your mind....

Crzyrdnk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2015
Red Deer, Alberta Canada
The best thing about the LS motor is that you dont have to spend alot of money to make more powerful, we all know eventually we are gonna want more power and the LS is the best platform to build on, dont get me wrong i love the SBC but once you get to a certain point money becomes a big issue.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I put together a spreadsheet for an LS 5.3 with a LS1 intake and a 4L60E transmission. I am at about 4k and I am thinking that’s on the low side. switching to a 4L60E or 4L80E really adds some cost to it. I also want my finished product to look very showable like the engine I have now which does add a few bucks to it. a few things, a salvage yard 5.3, computer and harness is about 400 locally, a used 4L60E that is known good is going to be around 500 bucks locally, headers off ebay at 200-250, mufflers 80x2=160, crossmember 150-250 depending on who you go with, 300 to the exhaust shop to run all of the pipes, motor mounts lets just say 50 bucks, more than likely going to have to shorten the drive shaft at 100-150 locally, fuel pump and fuel lines 300 +/- , new radiator for reverse flow 150, 200 to have someone rework the harness, 400 for tuning locally. 300 for a LS1 intake complete…. I am at over 3000 and I have not even touched on the small stuff or accessory brackets. Sure there are other ways of doing this with existing transmissions and truck intakes but this is what I feel is the way to do it if I were to pull the trigger on this in one of my cars. I would budget 5k if I were doing it and I may even go as far is going for a rebuilt or upgraded transmission, I mean if we are making the jump we are shooting for 600hp right? cam, springs and other HP parts all add to it….

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor