Exhaust 305

79 USA 1

79 USA 1

G-Body Guru
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Take the manifold to any good auto parts store or muffler shop and ask for a graphite doughnut gasket. I looks like someone removed the EFE valve and replaced it with the iron doughnut you have there, problem is there is no way to locate it when you attach the exhaust pipe. EFE valve looks like the picture below .

Attachments

RustBucket

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
I think the pipe flange side is the one that would have the fitments on it. My manifold is just a flat surface.

79 USA 1

79 USA 1

G-Body Guru
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
The valve would have a thermal switch usually on the thermostat housing and a vacuum source at the base of the carb. If you were to go to a good parts store or muffler shop they should be able to sell you a donut that looks similar to this that would lock into the manifold and the exhaust pipe would bolt to it.
Capture (640x523).jpg

Jorge1958

Jorge1958

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
It is a graphite gasket from what i saw. Buy a new graphite gasket from NAPA. New studs and nuts to and make sure your header pipe is round and not oblong.

Reactions: RustBucket
RustBucket

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
The valve would have a thermal switch usually on the thermostat housing and a vacuum source at the base of the carb. If you were to go to a good parts store or muffler shop they should be able to sell you a donut that looks similar to this that would lock into the manifold and the exhaust pipe would bolt to it.
View attachment 146110
Is yours for a 305?
It is a graphite gasket from what i saw. Buy a new graphite gasket from NAPA. New studs and nuts to and make sure your header pipe is round and not oblong.
I had a muffler ahop replace the atuds about a year ago. I took the manifolds right when i removed them from a cadillac limousine. Never tried them on before they replaced the studs. I dont think anything is wrong with my donut. I just think it's missing a gasket or something. Its mating metal on metal.

79 USA 1

79 USA 1

G-Body Guru
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Is yours for a 305?

I had a muffler ahop replace the atuds about a year ago. I took the manifolds right when i removed them from a cadillac limousine. Never tried them on before they replaced the studs. I dont think anything is wrong with my donut. I just think it's missing a gasket or something. Its mating metal on metal.

The picture was off the web.
My blue 79 has a 267 with Hooker long tube headers so all the factory manifolds and thermo switches are gone. I do have an 88 SS with the 305 and stock manifolds. I also have the EFE still in place but the metal flap is removed. The EFE valve has ears that locate in the exhaust studs. You can get a gasket from someplace like NAPA but just understand the steel donut has nothing to locate in the manifold with. What you have is a round ring that you are hoping stays on the gasket when you attach the pipe to it.

Reactions: RustBucket
RustBucket

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
The picture was off the web.
My blue 79 has a 267 with Hooker long tube headers so all the factory manifolds and thermo switches are gone. I do have an 88 SS with the 305 and stock manifolds. I also have the EFE still in place but the metal flap is removed. The EFE valve has ears that locate in the exhaust studs. You can get a gasket from someplace like NAPA but just understand the steel donut has nothing to locate in the manifold with. What you have is a round ring that you are hoping stays on the gasket when you attach the pipe to it.
ok I kind of understand what you're saying now. I'll take a video tomorrow and show u my y pipe flange.

by the way, what is the difference between a SS 305 and a stock 305?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hangar401 305 Exhaust mod Exhaust 12
fauxfour2 Broken exhaust manifold bolt Engine / Swaps / Driveability 14
M Summit Racing Exhaust Manifolds SUM-G9080 G-Body LS Swap 2
M WANTED Exhaust Manifolds for 200 cubic inch V6 Wanted 11
8 Question for the Dodge people (B block exhaust & carter carbs) Non-G Projects 0
blk7gxn U bolt Exhaust Clamps ..WHAT THE HECK! General Discussion 5
JAMCAR223 Has anybody been successful in keeping the paint from peeling on Olds exhaust ports?? General Discussion 20
lonewolf Is there a stock dual exhaust system for a 78 GP with 301 Exhaust 10
RideOrDieRegal84 Exhaust...? New Users 14
B Malibu exhaust crossmember Exhaust 23
S New Exhaust Exhaust 3
OldsDad Factory 455 Exhaust manifolds Exhaust 6
M Malibu Exhaust Exhaust 38
TURNA Olds intake exhaust crossover Engine / Swaps / Driveability 5
8 MONTE CARLO Arizona friends, question on emissions/exhaust General Discussion 13
R Exhaust flange Exhaust 0
E Need 2 bolt exhaust manifolds Exhaust 2
Tz44 CUTLASS New noise from olds 307 ticking/knocking/exhaust leak? Engine / Swaps / Driveability 33
B Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt G-Body LS Swap 14
CDUNIGAN1981 Custom Exhaust Indianapolis Area Exhaust 0
H CHEVY 1987 SBC exhaust manfolds Exhaust 2
Stupidquestionspro Exhaust crossover plates and Edelbrock plugs Engine / Swaps / Driveability 4
RustBucket 1981 Elco 305 - 2 cylinders not firing Electrical / Ignition / Starting 93
8 CUTLASS 84 supreme 305 swap (need help) Engine / Swaps / Driveability 27
J MONTE CARLO Installing b&m automatic shifter knob Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu 0
C 78 Cutlass factory 305 to 71 455 olds Engine / Swaps / Driveability 35
4 EL CAMINO 350/290 swap from 305 Fuel / Air / Boost / Emissions 0
J Late model 305 Chevy Truck heads on one of our 305? (mine is an 81 Monte) How-To's / Knowledge Base 8
J Late Model Chevy Truck Heads (1998) on a 1981 305 block? How-To's / Knowledge Base 11
W I have my grand mothers 1984 Monte with cloth landau 305 ac and wire wheels approx 54000 miles General Discussion 122
malibu79 305(LG4) valve stem seals Engine / Swaps / Driveability 35
H Turned key and got NOTHING! 1983 Grand prix 305 Electrical / Ignition / Starting 10
K Is the 88 lg4 305 a roller cam motor or flat tappet cam?? Engine / Swaps / Driveability 2
malibu79 305 LG4 overcooling? General Discussion 7
J 83 cutlass 305 with factory gauges- temp sender Electrical / Ignition / Starting 0
84cutspreme CUTLASS Factory 305 cutlass Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 4
R Sbc 305 build with factoey bottom end Engine / Swaps / Driveability 36
I CA Smog Test/Replace Electronic Quadrajet Fuel / Air / Boost / Emissions 5
S 305 won’t turn off General Discussion 3
Gonzo1970 E4ME off of a Chevy 305 Fuel / Air / Boost / Emissions 4
M 305 hesitation/miss-fire Electrical / Ignition / Starting 13