Exhaust Pipe Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
What do you all personally prefer? Duals? Y-pipe to a large single pipe?

I am trying to decide if a Y-pipe from shorties to a 3in single pipe is too big for a 305

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Engine masters basically dyno proved nothing is too big when it comes to exhaust or headers. Just that increases get smaller and smaller with bigger pipes. Personally if you plan to keep the 305, I'd run dual 2.5" If you plan to go with something bigger later, why not go 3"?
I went 2.5" on my car because I wanted a side exit exhaust and pypes only makes it in 2.5" (a very nice kit, and I am happy with the install, fit, and sound)... just wishing I had gone 3" not and payed the price for a custom exhaust.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Cool, thanks boss

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Engine masters basically dyno proved nothing is too big when it comes to exhaust or headers. Just that increases get smaller and smaller with bigger pipes. Personally if you plan to keep the 305, I'd run dual 2.5" If you plan to go with something bigger later, why not go 3"?
I went 2.5" on my car because I wanted a side exit exhaust and pypes only makes it in 2.5" (a very nice kit, and I am happy with the install, fit, and sound)... just wishing I had gone 3" not and payed the price for a custom exhaust.

I disagree, if the pipes are larger than they need to be the exhaust cools down too quickly and will slow the exhaust down. A 305 at 185 hp only has a little over 200 CFM so for duels it only needs a 1 5/8" pipe

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
pontiacgp is right in that too large a pipe will cool the exhaust and eliminate any beneficial scavenging effects you might see. It likely just doesn't matter that much though. I see guys trying to debate whether one size is better or not without using anything but anecdotes. I would say if you plan on upgrading at anytime, you will probably be alright with 2.5" or 3". While the 305 wont utilize the full capacity of either of them and you may lose some lower end torque, you likely wont notice. Most prefer the sound of a V8 with larger exhaust.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Thank you, pontiacgp and drogg. And Pontiacgp, do you have any sources or knowledge bases that you wouldnt mind sharing so I could so some reading, like how you reasoned that the necessary pipe diameter for a given engine size and how much gas its putting out in cfm is 1 5/8 pipe? Or are you just a physics master lol. You seem like you know your stuff brother

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
And on a side note. What setup im looking at right now, for many reasons such as cost, I am looking at shorty headers to a 3in Y pipe, through a Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 10, and out a single pipe in front of the rear passenger tire (pipe is 3in all the way through. I would like to get the parts from Summit Racing and get a local exhaust shop to do the work and fit the pipes). Does this setup sound alright?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thank you, pontiacgp and drogg. And Pontiacgp, do you have any sources or knowledge bases that you wouldnt mind sharing so I could so some reading, like how you reasoned that the necessary pipe diameter for a given engine size and how much gas its putting out in cfm is 1 5/8 pipe? Or are you just a physics master lol. You seem like you know your stuff brother

I'm a major psychotic but a master of nothing....there are plenty of links to help you out with the size an engine reguires

http://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator5.php

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor