Exhaust System Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Never replaced manifolds, installed headers, or any exhaust parts...removed exhaust manifolds for a engine pull once and wrapped headers before, but that's it when it comes to the exhaust system.

Should I buy the parts and have a shop install them (how much ?) or just install everything myself

Starting with the manifolds first...

Headers or OEM manifolds? If headers, can you give me examples or specs as to what I should be looking for while shopping for headers ?

IMG_20220910_165323997.jpg

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I would use grade 8 bolts coated with anti seize compound. Grade 8 bolts will have 6 tic marks on the head.
Length is 2"...
Screenshot_20220917-230453-889.png

Grade 8 bolts are hard to find locally,and I only have cash in hand to purchase with ... These are the only type I could find specifically Grade 8 and the size I need.
Screenshot_20220917-234531-817.png

If not grade 8, Zinc Plated or Stainless Steel or Galvanized Steel bolts ?

Screenshot_20220917-234627-853.png
Screenshot_20220917-234732-567.png

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Length is 2"...
View attachment 207097

Grade 8 bolts are hard to find locally,and I only have cash in hand to purchase with ... These are the only type I could find specifically Grade 8 and the size I need.
View attachment 207098

If not grade 8, Zinc Plated or Stainless Steel or Galvanized Steel bolts ?

View attachment 207099 View attachment 207100
Don't use stainless bolts. If they break they are very difficult to drill out. I bought grade 8 bolts for my Pontiac motor at home depot. Im also a fan of stock manifolds. If you have a running motor you may have some luck breaking the bolts loose with the motor warmed up. Be sure to use the right tools so you don't round the bolt heads.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Don't use stainless bolts. If they break they are very difficult to drill out. I bought grade 8 bolts for my Pontiac motor at home depot. Im also a fan of stock manifolds. If you have a running motor you may have some luck breaking the bolts loose with the motor warmed up. Be sure to use the right tools so you don't round the bolt heads.
I'm going to take a trip to Home Depot this morning and see for myself but the website wasn't showing me anything and I've only got like $10 to work with.

And yeah that was going to be my next question because I don't have a torch and don't have money to buy one.. I got two cans of PB blaster and I was going to soak both of the intake manifold bolts for a day or two and run the motor to get them hot and then break the bolts loose and complete the job.

What's the difference between manifold and headers ?

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Should I get full threaded bolts or the bolts with the smoothed gap between the hex head and threads ?

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Should I get full threaded bolts or the bolts with the smoothed gap between the hex head and threads ?
Grade 8 bolts won't be full threaded. Exhaust manifolds are the easiest to work with. Tools that you may need to install headers include torch, welding machine, big hammer, long pry bar, grinder, sawzall, porta power jack, and a good selection of extensions and swivels for your ratchet. Good luck

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Years ago both Edelbrock and Hooker used to make direct fit short tube headers for SBC G bodies. Both are long discontinuted now. I know someone makes direct fit longtubes for G hodies but can't remember the name.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
The only thing they had available at Home Depot was stainless steel and galvanized so I went with the galvanize because stainless steel is hard to drill in if it breaks and it's not so good against heat versus the galvanized.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The only thing they had available at Home Depot was stainless steel and galvanized so I went with the galvanize because stainless steel is hard to drill in if it breaks and it's not so good against heat versus the galvanized.
I would have bought stainless.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I would avoid stainless hardware for the exhaust as it would likely cause galvanic issues. Is there a Fastenal or Tractor Supply Store in youf area? They usually have a much better selection of bolts. Be surd to use anti seize on the bolts and wear disposable gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor