Exhaust System Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Never replaced manifolds, installed headers, or any exhaust parts...removed exhaust manifolds for a engine pull once and wrapped headers before, but that's it when it comes to the exhaust system.

Should I buy the parts and have a shop install them (how much ?) or just install everything myself

Starting with the manifolds first...

Headers or OEM manifolds? If headers, can you give me examples or specs as to what I should be looking for while shopping for headers ?

IMG_20220910_165323997.jpg

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Okay I was able to make some extra cash and was able to buy the Dorman 03 401 exhaust manifold bolt kit.. bought two of them, one for each side. Just waiting for the local store to call me to come pick them up..

While waiting I decided to go ahead and break loose some of the bolts with a box end wrench and I started with the passenger side front of the engine and made my way to the driver side which is the suspect side..

One thing I can tell you is it all these bolts took no effort to break loose, most not at all... From the passenger front side manifold, the first bolt I pulled out had black soot on the end where the manifold meets the block.. the driver side is also covered in black soot...
IMG_20220919_132517688.jpg

Some places I can't reach because I don't have a deep socket 9/16 so I'm waiting to go get that within the next 45 minutes...

But this is what all I found so far...

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
The results are in...these look to have been aluminum...

Top row is driver's side, from left to right is front of engine to back of engine...bottom row is passenger side...
IMG_20220919_154412191.jpg

Last edited:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I had a troop in the military that wouldn't get a haircut, I had about a dime sized glop in my palm and styled the top of his head pretty good.

Guy was bald the next shift. Problem solved.

• Haha

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Ok, I have to wait until 9:00 in the morning tomorrow to begin the job.. we can talk about installation tips and tricks until then..

I'm getting mixed answers regarding whether or not I should use silicone on the gasket.. I'm being told to use copper silicone and I'm also being told that the gasket said I have is a set of copper crush gaskets and it will seal perfectly without silicone.. which one is true ?

Is there anything I should know about as far as bolting the manifold to the head ?

I should be able to just start all the bolts and place the gasket on top of the bolts and tighten things down, right ?

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Ok, I have to wait until 9:00 in the morning tomorrow to begin the job.. we can talk about installation tips and tricks until then..

I'm getting mixed answers regarding whether or not I should use silicone on the gasket.. I'm being told to use copper silicone and I'm also being told that the gasket said I have is a set of copper crush gaskets and it will seal perfectly without silicone.. which one is true ?

Is there anything I should know about as far as bolting the manifold to the head ?

I should be able to just start all the bolts and place the gasket on top of the bolts and tighten things down, right ?
I don't use any sealer on my manifolds. Just snug all bolts first then tighten down evenly in a cross pattern. If you have a 3/8 tap use it to clean out the holes first. A torque wrench would help also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor