Exhaust System Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Never replaced manifolds, installed headers, or any exhaust parts...removed exhaust manifolds for a engine pull once and wrapped headers before, but that's it when it comes to the exhaust system.

Should I buy the parts and have a shop install them (how much ?) or just install everything myself

Starting with the manifolds first...

Headers or OEM manifolds? If headers, can you give me examples or specs as to what I should be looking for while shopping for headers ?

IMG_20220910_165323997.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I'm getting mixed answers regarding whether or not I should use silicone on the gasket.. I'm being told to use copper silicone and I'm also being told that the gasket said I have is a set of copper crush gaskets and it will seal perfectly without silicone.. which one is true ?
You don't use a sealer for embossed copper gaskets but they have to fit your head ports and manifolds correctly to seal properly.
1663642444653.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Personally I've never had any luck with those copper header gaskets, they always leaked on me. I usually use the stock type manifold gaskets like the ones you took off. I even use them on headers and they work great. Myself I would probably return the new bolts and save a few bucks, from the pic your old ones look fine and a few minutes on a bench grinder with a wire wheel will have them looking almost new.

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
I have no idea why there would be rubber o rings with header gaskets... those things would melt within moments of the engine starting up.

I looked up the instructions for those gaskets and found no mention of the rubber o rings.

I hope you didn't pay full retail price for those, by the way... there's better options out there, for your application, for far less. I use RemFlex gaskets for my headers. They work great.

Stainless hardware is fine. In fact the headers on my truck are installed with stainless hardware and have never needed to be re-torqued. I still check them regularly, but they've not come loose, unlike the grade 8 hardware on my g bodies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I hope you didn't pay full retail price for those, by the way... there's better options out there, for your application, for far less. I use RemFlex gaskets for my headers. They work great.
I sure did... I've been asking here and I've been asking in a few Facebook groups and the responses wasn't quick enough.. all I knew was that I needed copper gaskets and if I had to pay 60 bucks for these that's what I had to do... But apparently these are high quality and will even seal warped heads and manifolds exhaust ports..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor