F41 and aftermarket bracing diagrams (MORE pics added)

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
79_GBody said:
Phoenyx said:
Freaking sweet! It's nice to be able to see them like this. There's even a few I didn't know about.

What's up with the GN body bushings? Were they solid or something? And I never heard of the LCA mount brace, does that help a lot?

But I think you forgot one. The GN bracing behind the seat. Not the X bars but this:

http://home.att.net/~buickGNX/GNX/media/brace.jpg

I think he's talking about these type of weld in LCA mount braces...basically just gussets for the LCA mount http://www.buickgn.com/hrframebraces.htm Also on the bracing behing the seat some other g-body's had the bracing built in too. My 79 GP has that bracing and on some other g-body's that space is wide open. I'll try to take a pic of it and post it tomorrow.
I think most, if not all, GPs had that bracing behind the rear seat. not sure what year it started though. I have noticed that some cars do not have braces in the trunk going from the wheelhouses up to the top of the trunk. All of the GPs i have seen have this brace. Maybe i am mistaken about other cars not having that though.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Phoenyx, The bushing in #3 is just a spacer, GN and GNX were supposed to get a "active" (bolts in) bushing there.
The #5 was not put on any other Gbdoy that I know of, could be wrong. It is a dummy bushing but is better then nothing.

If you get a aftermarket kit (poly) for a GN , it has all of them.

There are 2 LCA braces shown, the weld in like 79 gbody shows.
trframebracesinstalledsm1.jpg

The other is a bolt in deal by either Hotchkis or edelbrock. Unless you are pulling wheel off the ground I would think the bolt-in style would be enough.

I am aware of the back seat bracing ( there are 2 types of the welded in ones), but I am not sure what models it was standard.

My Cutlass has a big void, the GP has bracing, I think my Grand Am did too.

Cutlass with X braces:
pic24.jpg

The ones I was trying to show are the bolt in tubular ones.

I have even noticed different bracing in the rear frame bulkhead area from car to car.

I don't think even GM knew what they were doing!!

Here is a link that shows a bunch of the braces .
http://www.geocities.com/jfon101231/brace.html

Reactions: 1 user

79_GBody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2007
Columbus, OH
Actually mine did have the bushings in the number 5 position. I took the body off while in school to clean up and box the frame, which is kind of odd becasue if you asked anyone they'd tell you that they only came on GN's.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I'm telling you guys at the plant were just messing with us!

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
Sometimes i wonder if they even knew how these cars were supposed to go together! :roll:

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i already have most of the factory bracing, the radiator "X" support brace, the brace that runs from frame end to frame end under the radiator support, the fender to radiator braces, the engine crossmember/"cradle" to frame end braces, front and back sway bars...i even have the factory trunk bracing. all i actually had to add was the engine cradle to frame end braces, the rest were already there other than the rear sway bar.

the car feels pretty stiff and i feel like i need bigger wheels and run wider tires as i think that's what holding me back from taking curves at higher speeds. i dont slow down for curves most of the time. its fun to watch the people tailgating me fall way behind when we go around curves, makes them floor it to tailgate me some more. it gives me the lawlz.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well all I know is that this is an awesome thread. Great idea.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I just went to the junkyard and picked up some more bracing for my GP.
My car has the the front GP bar but i got the jounce bars out of a cutlass. I tried to install them but there is some interference with the GP bar.It was too cold to try to figure it out.... so i figured i would ask if anybody tried to put all of the g-body braces on their g-body? I also got the fender bracing out of a 79 MC and it seems like i would have to drill the holes for them at the cowl. My car originally had the shorter bars but i threw them out cuz i thought they didn't serve a purpose lol!!

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Thanks i will try to figure it out as you suggested. Will it make a difference??

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor