Fake 87 442 at Mecum auctions

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Pardon my ignorance, but the wheels would my first clue. Shouldn't they be chrome without trim rings? Are they even 15"? And no two tone?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Pardon my ignorance, but the wheels would my first clue. Shouldn't they be chrome without trim rings? Are they even 15"? And no two tone?
Yes, the wheels should be 15x7 chrome SSIII without any trim rings or bezel rings. Only the inlays around the lugs and spoke areas should be gold with a single 3/16" gold pinstripe around the perimeter of the rim with stainless capped lug nuts.

Since the wheels are bolt on pieces that can be easily swapped and usually the first thing that gets changed on most cars, it sort of doesn't matter if the wheels are correct or not, the permanently installed equipment and the VIN make it a 442 (or not), technically. But you're correct, the wheels, among a lot of other things, are incorrect equipment for an 87 442.

Another thing this car doesn't have, I'm betting, is the over-the-rear-axle gas line heat shield on the passenger side. That's a G-body VIN 9 car only item. Nearly every single "conversion" to a 442 I've ever seen forgets that piece at least. That's another thing that would be a "tell". The VIN is the only document that matters. Trust me. I could make a trunk SPID sticker with a W42 on it (which I wouldn't) but the VIN without the 9 engine code would give it away.

83/84 Hurst/Olds wheel (chrome with argent inlay, red pinstripe) Originals had a clearcoat on them that went hazy often and usually got removed.
83 84 hurst olds wheel tire.JPG

85-87 442 wheel. No clearcoat.
85-87 442 wheel tire.JPG

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't think the $9,000 is a high price for a clean 87 Cutlass, it sure isn't the price for a 442 ...IMO.... :popcorn:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Just think: there was a hacked up p.o.s. LS swapped Monte for sale here a couple years ago for $8k. 9 for a clean original ain't that bad. High, but not bad........

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So who's looked at the interior? I have no idea what it looks like. Or underneath. The paint looks good from 50 feet. Any closer...ewww. Can it be corrected? I dunno. Maybe. It's a 307....perhaps. Not sure what it is. And 77K isn't terrible, but not that low in mileage, actually.

Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I don't think the $9,000 is a high price for a clean 87 Cutlass, it sure isn't the price for a 442 ...IMO.... :popcorn:

I agree. The buyer had to know this thing was a Supreme with 442 decals. It has bench seats with camel interior best I can tell from the pics. Looks clean but so many things are incorrect for a proper 442 clone.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor