father son 1/8 mile battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
79cutlasssalon442 said:
He had real low compression on two cylinders. Dont remember how low off the top of my head. He has the motor apart now and is trying to make it faster than my 350. He's doing a new cam. 1970 stage one heads, and new pistons about 9.6:1 compression. I still think I'll have him. Someone told me to try a 650 double pumper to try to make a better time. They think I'm leaning out in the top end

IF your dad rebuilds the engine properly, it's tuned correctly, and he has traction, he will SMOKE you! Should be in the 12's easy.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
DoubleV said:
79cutlasssalon442 said:
He had real low compression on two cylinders. Dont remember how low off the top of my head. He has the motor apart now and is trying to make it faster than my 350. He's doing a new cam. 1970 stage one heads, and new pistons about 9.6:1 compression. I still think I'll have him. Someone told me to try a 650 double pumper to try to make a better time. They think I'm leaning out in the top end

IF your dad rebuilds the engine properly, it's tuned correctly, and he has traction, he will SMOKE you! Should be in the 12's easy.

I see this post is still going - If you look back you will see my 455 ran 12.7. 79 as mentioned - for want you have in that engine it's weak, your only putting down 250HP.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
lilbowtie said:
DoubleV said:
79cutlasssalon442 said:

I see this post is still going - If you look back you will see my 455 ran 12.7. 79 as mentioned - for want you have in that engine it's weak, your only putting down 250HP.
Which engine has 250hp? I know my 355 has a lot more than that. My 305 was around 250..

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Your engine! Run your numbers and that's all the HP(250) your putting down. A 350 .040 over is 357 cid

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
The fathers engine isn't that big of a shocker. The 76 Buick 455's were pretty pathetic. Throw in some wear and tear, and low compression, and voila! you have a one hundred sumthin HP big block. Its about all the open chambers could muster up.

If he manages to get the early heads, 9.6:1 compression, with stage1 valves in there, watch out. Buicks win races in the beginning of the race, so if he doesn't have a lot of traction, or the suspension is out, it'll hurt the results.

Some stuff to sort out in both engines, but sounds like you guys are having fun.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
79cutlasssalon442 said:
Which engine has 250hp? I know my 355 has a lot more than that. My 305 was around 250..
Do you have any proof that it was 250hp or that your current engine has more? Not just seat of the pants proof im talking actual numbers. I highly doubt that 305 from your old thread had anywhere near that. Most crate 350s come with only 290ish new.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
lilbowtie said:
Your engine! Run your numbers and that's all the HP(250) your putting down. A 350 .040 over is 357 cid
But with vortec heads, a bigger cam, 10:1 compression and a 600cfm carb seems more than 250hp.. if it is that means im getting less than 200 at the wheels after going through my 700r4..

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I think he means you have 250 RWHP.

Keep in mind it's not how awesome your engine looks like on paper. It's about how well it was put together and how everything works together. Your engine specs say 'look at me, I'm a high performance engine' but all those cool numbers may not be working very well as a unit hence your mediocre performance. My practically stock Olds 350 at a whopping 8.1:1 CR, dinky-*ss Voodoo cam, and stock iron heads went 13.83 @ 96.85 in my car. So only a hair slower than you and look at my pathetic build! Why are we running so close yet on paper your engine should crush mine? Could just be in the tuning, your selected engine parts don't work well together, or something isn't what you think it is like your 10:1 CR is really much lower and don't work well with your cam. My 350 may have been extremely mild, but everything worked well together and it was in a good state of tune so it ran better than what most would assume.

P.S. A bigger carb would be better for you.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
lol, my old mitsushitty galant would of beat your dads time... was a 99 mitsubishi galant with the beatnick 3.0 v6... ran mid 16's stock... after a buddy put a chip, short ram, headers n exhaust, lighter rims, it was down to high 15's... then i bought it and tore it to pieces, the removal of EVERYTHING i could unbolt, ie back seats, trim (both interior n exterior), door panels, console, carpet, spare tire, etc it got to mid 15's... all that said, if your dad builds his engine right, he should be able to leave you in the rear view mirror, but you have the posi on your side that will help ALOT... keep us posted, would love to hear how thing turn out after your pops rebuilds...

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
online170 said:
Some stuff to sort out in both engines, but sounds like you guys are having fun.

That's the big thing, I think. Having fun finding where you are now, and having fun finding the right tweaks/changes to make them faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor