Favorite Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
It isn't Christmas without the Charlie Brown Christmas and this. I saw this on TV way back when and my Mom could not contain her tears. Supposedly Bowie did it to please his Mom who was a Crosby fan. Priceless!!!

IIRC, Bing passed away shortly before that special was aired, making it bittersweet for many.

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
I do not believe in royalty but this man was a King when it came to a guitar and the blues....

My all-time favorite BB King album was "Let the Good Times Roll" where he played Louis Jordan's greatest songs. "Ain't Nobody Here but us Chickens" was quintessential Jordan. And BB's duet with Dr. John on "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby" was simply icing on the cake.

Reactions: 1 user

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
It isn't Christmas without the Charlie Brown Christmas and this. I saw this on TV way back when and my Mom could not contain her tears. Supposedly Bowie did it to please his Mom who was a Crosby fan. Priceless!!!

If I could have only two Christmas albums for the rest of my life they would be Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas and Mel Torme's Christmas Songs. Here's a track from each.

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
Here's a few great soul brothers whom I had the distinctive pleasure of seeing live at the Filmore East
Great horn section, too.
Here's some blue eyed soul.
I know I'm dating myself, but I grew up with this great music.

I always thought the Fabulous Thunderbirds did a great cover of Sam and Dave's Wrap it up.

• Agree

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
Don't know why but the Tubes' "White Punks on Dope" just popped into my mind. And that made me think of Cheech and Chong doing "Earache My Eye.:

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
I remember in Grade School The Sweet was the hottest band and had lots of legal issues with their record company forcing them to play songs they didn't want to do. But they cranked out a string of hits: Ballroom Blitz, Fox on the Run, Little Willy, Wig Wam Bam, Love is Like Oxygen.

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
Anyone else remember Slade? Hits like "Run Run Away" and "Cum on Feel the Noise" (later covered by Quiet Riot)

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
And we cannot leave out the greatest yodeling record of all time -- Hocus Pocus by Focus:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I think Christmas songs are the single biggest genre in existence. Everyone who is anyone makes a Christmas record. But of all the syrupy sweet songs we get bombarded with I like this standout the best. I can't find the "Square Pegs" episode where they did this song so this will have to do. The 80's RULE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor